ADVICE, on this COOP!!!

eeiko321

Songster
11 Years
Sep 1, 2008
hi guys

15198_phpdipg9xam.jpg

im am buying one of these next weekend.

im pretty sure this is one of the MOST mass produced coops for residential use.
i want to put 2 hens in it...and will be enclosed in it fulltime as i cannot let it free range in the back yard.
it will have the feeder and drinker inside and somehow i will get some sand in there for its bath.

also, the 2 hens i have have just recently met and havent yet learned to share.
and as u can see in the picture, there is a room inside for the roosting area. but the older hen is very dominant....
whats the best thing to do?
should i put the weaker young hen in there first for a week or so and then put the older strongher one...
so that way maybe the tables can be turned?

and can anyone tell me some experiences with this product? or any advice?

It's a pretty little coop.

Perhaps three hens would help them learn to share a little bit more?....

But there is always a pecking order. Someone is always going to be at the bottom.

Good luck.

Quote:
I bought a plastic storage conainer that rolls under a bed and put sand it that with some DE sprinkled in it. The birds loved it. For 2 birds you can get by with a smaller one. I started out with 6 birds.

Quote:
well ebay is mass selling it but im not a big fan of the bidding system.
there is a place locally that is selling it for $440 AUD.

(yes i know, it is expensive isnt it. but i dont have much choice...in sydney there isnt many people selling these things) i know in USA they are cheaper but by the time i pay for delivery, im better of buying from the local shop.

Mahonri
Today 4:46 am It's a pretty little coop.

Perhaps three hens would help them learn to share a little bit more?....

But there is always a pecking order. Someone is always going to be at the bottom.

so have you had experince with this type? because ive been told by the sales people that in the room area to roost.. 2 - 3 hens can actually accomadate it.
and im guessing your stating otherwise... where one hen would totally kick the other one out?​

Maybe posting a question on the behaviors thread about putting the non-dominant hen in first would get that question answered. The coop looks good for 2-3 hens.

I do not think that I would put more than two in there---
Its beautiful-but--you do not want to overcrowd or cause more pecking order relations with adding another hen to the bunch--

There will always be pecking orders--and different ages are a bit harder to introduce together.

When you do get the coop go ahead and place the two hens in at the same time...more than likely they will be ok and they'll learn to share and like each other as time goes by!

Good Luck!-and Enjoy the new coop!
yippiechickie.gif

I think it's very pretty, but you may want to reinforce the run a bit. The wire has too large of openings and it doesn't go all the way down to the ground. I can see how a weasel-like animal or a rat could easily find their way in. Something that digs could get in easily, too.

thanks for the advice guys
you guys are much helpful

ill keep u posted on how it goes with the new coop when i get it and what sort of mods ill do..

cheers:D

Back
Top Bottom