advice on what i should be feeding my little flock

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by traytray01, Oct 13, 2013.

1. traytray01

traytray01 New Egg

Sep 27, 2013
    hi we have 6 chickens 1 amber 1 columbine 1blue 1 pied suffolk 1 columbine black tail and 1 ranger .we have had them just over 2 weeks we were told they are at pol and a week later we got are first egg and have had 1 egg nearly every day apart from 2 days . we have also had i think a jelly egg and one that was cracked open and the shell felt like plastic . i think that the eggs are from the columbine but there not a blue/green like we was told there be but then they are her first eggs there small but i no that there get bigger over time i thing a few of the other chicks are showing sines that they will start to lay soon but its now october and the weather is getting cold and wet and the days are getting very short i live bye heathrow just out side london england . this is the first time we have had chickens and i dont no that much what should i be feeding them layers pellets growers pellets im not shore iv been giving them layers plus mixed corn and fresh greens fruit and scraps but as its getting very cold should i be feeding them defferant as theer not all laying so should i be feeding them on growers i dont wont to make them sick and one of them has runny poo but dont no what one it is . any advice that will help would be wonderful apart from the poo they seem in pretty good health a bit thin but i dont no how big they should be as there only young thay allways come running when i go out in the garden or any were near there coop and peck at me and my pockets one jumps on my back whene im trying too clan out there run and little house given the chance they are grate fun to have so i want to keep them in good health . thank you for reading and sorry for the bad spelling [​IMG]

2. ShinShien

ShinShien Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2013
    Alabama
    If they're laying, I'd feed layer ration. I wouldn't mix corn with the ration as they seem to pick it out first and fill up on it. I'd toss maybe 1/2c corn a day for treats if at all. Mine get black oil sunflower, not corn. Warm oatmeal is good on cold days for chickens.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Since they were bought as POL I would expect that they are at the age when they should be able to handle the layer without a problem. If you do feed grower you will need to supplement calcium in their diet, to give them the calcium for the egg shells. Young pullets haven't had the time to put on the extra weight yet, so yes they'll be on the thin side.

1 person likes this.
  4. traytray01

traytray01 New Egg

Sep 27, 2013

Thank you both i will defo cut down the corn as thay do seem to stay away from the layers pellets and seem to whate for me to bring the arfternoon corn . with the oatmeal do i mix that with warm milk and could i use porage . thank you for your help its put my mined to rast and now im not so worreid about thete size

5. ShinShien

Oct 1, 2013
    Alabama
    Warm water, milk, either would work. Chickens also seem to love plain yogurt and canned or dry cat food makes a healthy treat.

6. demiandeddie69

demiandeddie69 New Egg

Oct 14, 2013
    I've been raising chickens for 10 years now and ive given my chickens pretty much anything you can think of. All the table scraps go to my flock and dogs as well and they're all healthy as can be. I give my flock deer meat every year too. Feed them everything

7. ShinShien

Oct 1, 2013
    Alabama
    My flock just devoured a can of cat food like they were a pack of raptors. They'll eat almost anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by