Advice on Wheels

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by coffeelady3, Jun 27, 2008.

1. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    This weekend my project is to finish a dog house tractor for my two girls. Can anyone offer me any words of wisdom on wheels? I'm wondering things like where do you get them? How do you attach them? What kinds work the best? That sort of thing...

2. Get the caster wheels that turn. It will make things a lot easier.

3. m_herrington

m_herrington Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    ohio
    Tractor Supply usually has a huge assortment of caster wheels...

You may also try Harbor Freight or possibly a local hardware store.

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Our chicken tractor has lawn mower wheels on it.

5. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I like the lawn mower idea because of the uneven terrain we will be moving ours around in. That is what we thought we would try and could even possibly find that on Freecycle.[​IMG]

6. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Thanks for the ideas. I'll look around.

7. skennedy

skennedy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Denham Springs, LA
    I would go to the nearest Harbor Frieght. They have numerous pneumatic casters and wheels.

8. MicMoo

MicMoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Since you're in Tacoma (like me), you might try going down to the St. Vincent de Paul's thrift store at South 56th & Tyler, across from Moctezuma's. We saw a bunch of salvaged lawnmower/cart wheels and such for sale in their outside yard area a few weeks ago.

9. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Find some used lawnmower wheels lawnmower repair shop might give U a couple.

10. NorTracNY

NorTracNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Macedon, NY
    I have lawn mower wheels on mine. Find a shop that repairs push lawnmowers. They will probably have some cheap. The bigger the better if you're not going to have your tractor on pavement. Oh, make sure they are not plastic due to the weight you'll be having on them. A simple bolt/washers/nut is an easy way to mount them.

If the weather is not a problem to have air filled tires, then the tires on wheel barrows would also be a good option.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by