advice on worming a mixed flock

emascioli

Hatching
Aug 15, 2015
I have a mixed flock of 12 bantam chickens, 9 guinea hens and a pair of peafowl. Can anyone suggest the best way to worm a group of birds of such different sizes. I was thinking of low dose of safeguard in water and topical wormer for peafowl but I have not seen any posts suggesting topical worming for peafowl so I don't know if it is ok.

Also, if I use topical wormer on peafowl and wait a month to use liquid wormer in water for the other birds will I risk overdosing the peafowl.

Thanks in advance
E

Go to the vet and ask them for 10.00cc of ivomec injection and give every one .1 cc through the mouth you will also have to get a syringe and fill it to the .1cc mark do not inject even though it says to give it through the mouth. You can't really over dose because their body will just discard the unused product

Last edited:
My vet sad that is not true she said because it has a high concentration because it is used for cattle it will work and kill most worms. I use it on mine and I have cured many birds that have worms very bad with it

Last edited:
My vet sad that is not true she said because it has a high concentration because it is used for cattle it will work and kill most worms. I use it on mine and I have cured many birds that have worms very bad with it

You vet is correct, it will work in CATTLE, but not chickens due to its overuse as a mitecide in chickens, causing worm resistance to the product.
I stopped using ivomec products after seeing large roundworms in feces a month and a half after using it. Here's a link showing its ineffectiveness against poultry worms:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1439-0450.1989.tb00635.x/abstract
Albendazole, fenbendazole, flubendazole and pyrantel pamoate are effective wormers in poultry.

Last edited:
I have a mixed flock of 12 bantam chickens, 9 guinea hens and a pair of peafowl. Can anyone suggest the best way to worm a group of birds of such different sizes. I was thinking of low dose of safeguard in water and topical wormer for peafowl but I have not seen any posts suggesting topical worming for peafowl so I don't know if it is ok.

Also, if I use topical wormer on peafowl and wait a month to use liquid wormer in water for the other birds will I risk overdosing the peafowl.

Thanks in advance
E
Would be best to catch them and give either of these orally:

Safeguard liquid or paste
  • Large peahen - 2ml 5 days in a row
  • Large peacock - 3ml 5 days in a row
*or*

Valbazen liquid
  • Large peahen - 0.7 ml once and repeat in ten days
  • Large peacock - 1 ml once and repeat in ten days

A topical dose of ivermectin is very unlikely to treat any worms in peafowl, chickens or guinea fowl.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom