ADVICE Please: 4 Week Old Sick Chick...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DixieChickMom, Jul 11, 2011.

1. DixieChickMom

DixieChickMom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    New chicken owner needs help please. [​IMG] I have seven 4 week old chicks and just noticed one that is very lethargic, and can barely move. Has trouble walking. Doesn't want to stand up. I cleaned her butt and she immediately had watery poop. She is not peeping but has eyes open. After I cleaned her up and after her poop she did peep a little and drank some water. She is on medicated chick feed and has been vaccinated for Marek's disease. What do I need to do if anything? She is my Australorp I think. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you! (By the way, it is extremely hot around here now...90s/100s. I am keeping them in a storage shed out in the backyard. They are in a baby pool with cardboard walls and pine shavings on floor. I've put plastic netting over the top to let in air. There is a window that I keep open with a fan in it. I just recently added another fan for more air circulation. Neither one is pointed directly at the chicks but blows over them. There is a themometer in the shed and at night it stays in the upper 80s but can get close to 100 during the day.) Again any advice appreciated!!

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Maybe try adding some ice to their waterer a couple times a day (or give them some kind of frozen fruit treat)? I've had a couple of droopy chicks lately because of the heat- mostly my black cochins. Shallow pans of water they can stand in help too, but they'll probably make a huge mess out of their brooder with it. Good luck!

3. DixieChickMom

Jul 11, 2011
    Thank you for the advice. She doesn't look good. She can barely sit up straight, she can't stand. I've been dipping her beak in the water because I don't think she can make it to the waterer. At one point she was laying on her side with her eyes closed. Now she is sitting with her eyes closed. She did do another watery poop. Any idea what it is. I'm not convinced it's heat related.[​IMG]

4. ajay

ajay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    I know very little about chickens so take it with a grain of salt, but my friend was able to help her lethargic chick with poly vi sol and yogurt. Might be worth a try. I believe the poly vi sol needs to be without iron, but maybe someone else can confirm. Good luck!

5. DixieChickMom

Jul 11, 2011
    Thank you for all your help but sweet little June died tonight. I hope my other chicks stay healthy. RIP sweet June.

6. wyomingleghorn

wyomingleghorn Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2011
    :(so sorry for you loss.
    lost a little one the other mornin
    down to 24 now 12 day olds
    all the best to ya

7. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    I'm so sorry for your loss. It's always tough to see a little one not make it. For future reference, if something like this were to happen to me, I would start giving them a few drops of poly-vi-sol (without iron) a few times a day until I see some improvement. This sounds simple, but has helped alot of struggling chicks for me.

8. TMDee

TMDee Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2011
    Speyside, Scotland
    So sorry to hear that - I know just how heartbreaking it can be [​IMG]

xxxx

9. DixieChickMom

Jul 11, 2011
    Thank you for your condolences. I had another chick die today! I went to Tractor Supply today and they suggested Duramycin-10. Anyone know anything about it, good or bad?

10. DixieChickMom

Jul 11, 2011
    What is poly-vi-sol and where do you get it? Thanks for the suggestion by they way. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by