Advice Please: A Possible Picky Eater Naked Neck Turken Hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SantaCruzHenster, Jul 29, 2011.

1. SantaCruzHenster

SantaCruzHenster New Egg

Jul 29, 2011
    Hello All! Just need to get some advice on my turken girl. She's just over a year old and just recently, within the last week or so, has decided to turn her beak up at her food. I feed her organic scratch and crumble. I've not changed their feed at all. I only have the turken and one other hen. K, so here's what I've observed. She seems very healthy. Clear eyes, vent, no mites. No signs of molting or going broody. Stool looks very normal with no signs of worms etc... Doesn't seem to be loosing weight either. Crop feels normal, not impacted or sour. She seems to be acting just as normal other than not really eating. She has stopped laying, which she has done before, for about 4 to 5 days. We did get one egg out of her a few days ago, now nothing. I did notice a shell-less egg on the bottom of the coop floor. I only have one other hen, who is just fine btw, who already laid her egg earlier. I'm assuming that shell-less egg belong to the turken. This revelation leads me to think it may be a vitamin deficiency? I gave her a couple of egg shells broken up which she gobbled up with joy. But the usual nighttime snake of organic sunflower seeds did not make her happy and she just made an, "Oh, that stuff again?", noise. I am new to the chicken world and I confess that most of my questions have been answered by searching this forum or the internet. But I'm completely stumped with this. Should I change her food? Should I get vitamin supplements or oyster shells more protein? These girls are spoiled rotten by food receiving fresh greens, fruit, and sprouts everyday. Well, not fruit and veggies everyday, but you get the picture. She just seems so uninterested in the food and a bit depressed, if that's possible for a hen. There's something going on, I just don't know what. Any recommendations would be welcomed and please, ask questions if there's something I didn't cover in enough detail. Thanks ever so much!

2. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, from Big Bear Calif, always good to meet another feather brainier. I'm not sure what to tell you, so I'll post to keep you in hte loop. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    I would try giving her some oyster shell [​IMG] and [​IMG]

4. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Welcome!

Sometimes when they don't want to eat the feed, it's necessary to stop any treats long enough to force the issue. If one is eating well, you'd think it's not a problem with old or moldy or otherwise bad feed. Going off feed can happen for a number of reasons. I hope this turns out well for you.

5. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    My NN girls are the pickiest eaters but when they love something watch out!!! I have seen them jump over top of other chickens to get to the mealworms!!! Maybe try something different just to see how she eats that?? You could scramble or boil an egg to give to her which is very nutritious and I know first hand mealworms are a big hit!!! LOL I don't go for the live mealworms to well but they do sell the freeze dried ones at TSC. Maybe add some vitamins to the water until she starts to pick up eating again. Is it hot where you are? Maybe the heat is affecting her appetite too??? Is she still active? She isn't broody, is she?

6. SantaCruzHenster

SantaCruzHenster New Egg

Jul 29, 2011
    Thanks for the welcomes and advice ya'all [​IMG] ! I'll be running to the feed store today and talk with them as well. My thinking is that I'll get some oyster shells, vitamins, and other such things to give a try. This morning was the same. She kept looking at me for food, but again, she was just not interested. I went back up to the coop with a slice of watermelon that she seemed to enjoy. She also seems to be pecking at the dirt as if she's looking for something very specific. Have no idea why she's decided to stop eating, especially her crumble. Not too hot up here in the Santa Cruz mountains. Matter of fact, the lows at night are in the low 50's with high's in the mid to upper 70's. Pretty cool summer so far. And I don't think she's broody either. She's not just sitting in the nests and still seems like the same girl. Pretty talkative and scratching. Thanks again and I'll keep everyone posted.

7. SantaCruzHenster

SantaCruzHenster New Egg

Jul 29, 2011
    I'm happy to report that Chocolate Giddy Up seems to be VERY happy with the oyster shells and the red worms I bought for her today. I hope this will get her out of her funk and she will be a happy and contented hen that she once was. Thanks again everybody! The is a fantastic forum with great people!

8. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by