Advice please about raising my Welsummers

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by skylark, Jul 29, 2013.

1. skylark

skylark New Egg

Jul 26, 2013
    I bought a box of 10 Welsummer chicks at auction. 5 girls and 5 boys it seems...

[​IMG][​IMG]

there was no info on how old they are but I was guessing about 7 weeks... can anyone comment? at the moment they are all in together in a growers run but I have a couple of questions. Firstly, should they still be getting chick crumbs? I have been giving them chick crumbs and some mixed grain but they seem to go for the grain first. Also, at what age should I separate them and decide what Im doing with the boys? thanks!

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They need to stay on a chick starter or starter/grower feed, or a flock raiser (just not layer) until they start laying. You don't need to separate the roos unless you start having a lot of battles between them.

3. TripleKFarm

TripleKFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2013
    I use fodder (anything that has first sprouts to them-before they bloom) I get black oil sunflower seeds-sprout them or a bag lentils (from walmart) sprout them. I also hard boil eggs, take the outer part off that has the egg shells attached to it, take out the yolk, chop it up and sprinkle Italian seasoning on it-mix and feed.

they don't need the egg shells-to much calcium is bad for chicks, and they don't need to be on layer till they start laying. I don't put mine on extra calcium till they start to lay. the Italian seasoning helps them in numerous ways (keeps bugs off of them, worms them, gives them all the good stuff they need). you will probably have to take out at least 3 of the roos once they hit mating ability. normally the roos will be sexually mature before the hens so they will start to fight before they can start mating the hens.

if you want to wait and keep them all till you know who you want to keep-separate the roos out. you might be able to put the roosters in a separate pen together, if not then you will have to completely separate them in separate pens. usually about 12 hens to 1 or 2 roos is a good ratio..i just love my wellies! they lay the most pretty eggs.

good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by