Advice please- BO chick wants to live in coop with RIR's

sticksoup

Songster
10 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Bradenton
Hi- I'm new to raising chickens and have 2 4 month old RIR's who lay and 'own' their coop. My question is, I have a solo Buff Orp chick- about 5 weeks old who I would like to move into the coop with the big girls. She's lonely. Of course, the RIR's will have nothing for it and attack her if she gets close. What can I do to get them to 'all get along'? How old would you recommend the chick to be before introducing her to the coop? Also, we have been trying to find another chick for the BO- is there a breed you recommend? All we can find are new born chicks- can we house the newborn with the 5-6 week old?

Thank you for any advice!!!

I'm in Florida, an hour south of Tampa. We've been searching for a chick about her same age but not with any luck. I have not tried posting here though... yet. We are willing to drive to get an appropriate mate for her. The only option we have is our local feed stores which is getting in a batch today of chicks~ I'm torn between raising the BO alone and getting her a younger mate. She's turned into a 'Momma's Chicken' which I doubt is a good thing.

try a wanted post for your area in byc, maybe you can find a chick that is still in a brooder but 4 weeks old. You will still have to be concerned about putting the newbie in a quarentine but if you are willing to risk it you could put them together but separate from the rest of the flock. And hope for the best. In the meantime maybe a stuffed animal would help her be less lonely.

Thanks for your advice! I had not known about the stuff animal- I have many stuffed chickens and will give it a try. Thank you!

If you could put them close to each other like separating them with a fence they would get to know each other and in the near future you could put them together. That way she would have company too!!

Yes, if you can't find her a friend, try sectioning off an area of the run, and put her in a crate in the coop at night. She is awfully young, but maybe after a couple of weeks they will loosen up a bit.

ETA--if she's quite a bit smaller, you could make an area for her that she can run into (with a small doorway), with her own food and water, when they go after her.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom