Advice please! Caring for a single chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicknscrtch247, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Chicknscrtch247

Chicknscrtch247 New Egg

Jan 24, 2014
    Hi all,

I am new to this forum but I was hoping I could get some advice about how to best care for a single chick that is about 3-4 weeks old. Frankly, I do not own this chick, but I feel it is my responsibility to do as much as I can to help raise it correctly.

Just some quick back-story about the situation:

My brother and his wife are about to get their own home in 2 weeks and it has a backyard enclosure that they want to put chickens in. My brother just bought a chick yesterday because a feed store was nearby from where he was running errands. We know virtually nothing about raising chickens, and I did a lot of research on my own last night because the chick was chirping loudly most of the night. We made sure it had a good supply of food, water, and attention. However, I got the feeling that the chick was lonely or scared after looking online where people say that chickens are flock animals that should not be raised alone, and that it is important to have several as a group. I am now feeling guilty that we have this poor chick with no company.

After telling my brother and his wife that they need to buy at least several chickens to raise them correctly, they seemed to agree that they would definitely buy at least one more chicken and possibly more in the future, but right now they don't want to buy another chicken because we only have one crate for the new chick we bought and they found online that some people said that chickens will start fighting if they are in too small of a space together.

Basically, they want to wait for the 2 weeks until they have their own house, and then they will plan on buying more chickens. Does anyone think that is okay or should we try to get another chick asap?

I attached some photos of the crate we have right now. It is not a formal chicken crate, but we figured it would do the job for several weeks. I would appreciate any advice about what we can do to maximize the quality of life for this chick until he/she gets a friend. It would also be great to know if the crate we have right now is big enough for two chicks and if it will still be big enough for two of them in 2 weeks time.

One last question: Does anyone know if this is a Rhode Island Red chick? We can't tell if it is a boy or a girl, and maybe it is too early to tell.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. boxofpens

boxofpens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2013
    Texas
    Personally, I would get another chick (the same age/size as that one ASAP. That way they're both "new" to their environment. The crate is big enough for 2 chicks for now. But I wouldn't leave them in it for longer than 2 weeks. I would also take the blanket off of the crate unless it is extremely cold. Chickens need a lot more ventilation then you may think.

It looks like it might me a production red, or a buff orphington. It's comb being a more natural color and not really red yet would lead me to believe it may be a hen. Roo's combs tend to get redder sooner. No guarantee though :lol:

3. boxofpens

Mar 9, 2013
    Texas
    [​IMG]

The two on the right are my Buff Orphington's when they were small. They looked similar to yours.

The chicken threads are pretty slow on Saturday's, so don't get discouraged if you don't hear from anyone right away.

4. seann

seann Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Definitely get at least one more. Correct that they are social creatures, they need company. That carrier is big enough for two, for now. I think once they are 2mo old they will need a real coop.

5. boxofpens

Mar 9, 2013
    Texas
    How's the chicky doing?

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    It might be an Orp , it has very yellow legs.
    I had a singleton, and ordered some more chicks right away. While I waited, I had a stuffed animal chicken in with her. I let her sleep on my shoulder when I was on the computer.

Cackle Hatchery has small orders available.

7. acsteele

acsteele Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2013
    South Central Kansas
    I believe Orpingtons have white legs

8. boxofpens

Mar 9, 2013
    Texas
    You're right. I didn't even notice the yellow legs, I was just going by feather color.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by