Advice please??? Extremely graphic dead embryo pics. :( Sorry, LONG

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by luvmychicknkids, Aug 5, 2008.

1. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Alright, I am having the worst hatch EVER. Started with 46 eggs total. I am down to 6. A couple of those are iffy but I won't remove one until I KNOW it is dead. These eggs are from many different sources. Some were shipped (lost all of those) some were purchased farm eggs and refrigerated and some were practically dropped in my hand by the chicken herself. I have treated them exactly the way I have all my previous hatches. Temp staying steady at 101 in a LG still air and a Hova still air. I like the dry hatch method so I haven't added water. I stop turning tonight however and will be adding it then, of course. Most eggs were lost in the beginning. Many not fertile but they were from hens who had a new, young, roo. The shipped eggs were busted inside and I lost all but one before they sttarted. One of those started developing and his pic is here. So, here are the pics. Hopefully someone can help me figure out what could be going wrong. [​IMG] I have more eggs on the way and I am scared to start another hatch at this point.

First...this little guy was perfect. beautifully feathered, looks healthy, just dead with no obvious reason.
    [​IMG]

Next, my little Turken, the only developing egg from the shipped ones. He has no abdomen. All his insides are just floating freely around him. He made it a long way then just died (from his deformities I suppose) but what coould have caused this?
    [​IMG]

And last. This one had been dead for quite some time when I took it out and it is kinda hard to see. It, however, almost looks like it may have had similar deformities as my Turken. At least there is certainly some odd looking growths in the abdominal area.
    [​IMG]

Anyway, I would appreciate any advice on what may be going wrong. I want my babies to make it and I am feeling pretty freaked out right now. Thanks a bunch.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Oh that would have me freaked out too! I am also having the worst hatch ever! Out of 15 eggs I have 4 eggs that are living yet. Most never developed and there were a few that just died for a reason unknown to me. Good luck on your other hatch! Hope someone can help you out here!

3. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Sorry you are having problems with yours too. [​IMG] It is so depressing to lose any, but when almost the entire hatch fails it is HORRIBLE. [​IMG] I hope your 4 remaining do great.

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    THANKS!

Makes me wonder if it's just TOO hot out there! At least in my case...as mine were all shipped.

5. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    That is kinda what I was thinking too. Even on the ones that weren't shipped. They were outside for some amount of time after being laid. The ones of mine that are doing best are from mine and my mother's chickens. We both gathered them soon after being laid so less outside time.

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    :aww I'm so sorry! I lose a lot of chicks before hatch, too, but when they die, they are not deformed as far as I can tell. Now, my shipped eggs have not been subjected to extreme heat, as far as I know, so that might have something to do with it. I don't really know. I could understand one chick like that as an oddity, but more than one? Has to be something, and I wish I knew what it was.
    [​IMG]
    I do hope that someone that has been hatching longer than I have pipes in...
    [​IMG]... it weighs heavy on the heart...

7. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Yeah, one I could have just blown off as a case of "these things happen", but with more than one and from completely different sources, it just doesn't make sense.

Thank you, guys. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  8. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Oh Christy, I'm so sorry about this! [​IMG]
    Unfortunately I have no idea what the problem could be. I would tip on heat as well. I know it's been very hot here, almost 100 degrees already!
    Hope you get at least some to hatch!! [​IMG]
    Hang in there and write me if you just need to talk! I am so sad you have to go through this. [​IMG]

9. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    [​IMG] So Sorry Christy

There could be so many reasons as to what could have happen .. i don't know what it could have been but i wish i did know so i could tell you.. i'm sure will get get a fluffy one to come out [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. pax12

pax12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    sorry about your loss i know what your going through i have 26/42 left [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by