Advice please for My Poorly Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Fiona Palmer, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Fiona Palmer

Fiona Palmer New Egg

Feb 29, 2012
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I have four Chickens which I have had for 3 months now, I have never had chickens before although my father had them when I was a child. I got my chickens from a good breeder when they were 18 weeks old and they were laying straight away. I am not sure if they have all been laying but some days we do get 4 eggs. About 4 days ago we got an egg without shell, it had a long tail on it like an umbilical cord attached to the membrane. I was a bit worried so looked this up and saw to give them calcium in the way of oyster shell. We got another egg without shell the other day. Today one of my chickens (Kwazii) started acting very strange. She has been fine all day, she has been in the garden with the others and been eating well. Then this evening we noticed she was not following me or my husband, when we go out they all follow us. The other three were but she was just wondering off like she was in her own little world. Then she went into the coup and just lay on the floor, I went in to take a look at her and he had what looked like egg white on her bottom, my hubby said when she got up he thought he saw some yolk bur the others ate it quickly. Now she is layed in one of the nest box's and all the others are on the roost. I am wondering if she has been the one laying the eggs without shells and the membrane has got stuck or something. Any advice would be most welcome as I only know what I have learned from the internet Thanks

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Have you picked her up and examined her belly? Check to see if it's swollen/red. If so, she may have an infection. You could do a search here for egg yolk peritonitis...or better yet, just peritonitis, and compare symptoms.

3. Fiona Palmer

Fiona Palmer New Egg

Feb 29, 2012
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I have picked her up and she seems fine appart from the clear discharge she is losing, her abdomen is soft really and she looks fine, just a little lethargic. I have a camera in the coup and she has just got up and gone for a drink and then sat on the roost with the others. I'm in the UK and it's night time here :). Thanks for the advice I will look that up thanks Klmclain

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  4. klmclain1

Mar 14, 2011
    Sorry I'm not more help...I had a girl with similar symptoms a while back and I aggressively treated her with penicillin. I know some people won't approve, but she lived and is doing great now. One of her "sisters" wasn't so lucky and died because I didn't catch it soon enough. I'm pretty sure it was the same issue for each of them as it occurred within day of each other. Go with your "gut"!

5. Fiona Palmer

Fiona Palmer New Egg

Feb 29, 2012
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I guess I will observe her over night and see how she is in the morning and take it from there, Thanks for your advice I really appreciate someone to chat to about it, I'll let you know how we get on :)

6. klmclain1

Mar 14, 2011
    Good luck!!!

7. Fiona Palmer

Fiona Palmer New Egg

Feb 29, 2012
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Well my little Kwazii i s doing much better this morning she came out of the coup with the others and has something to eat and drink so fingers crossed she's going to be OK :)
    She has passed or laid a couple of weired looking embroils today, I think the oyster shell and yogurt worked wonders she's back to her old little self, I'm very Happy :)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by