Advice please for wounded goose

berube170

Hatching
8 Years
Dec 19, 2011
I have a goose who was attacked several days ago by a dog. She has wounds behind both her legs and on both wings. I brought her in and am keeping her in a rubbermaid box in the house, I have kept wounds clean and used neosporin on them. She is alert and seems happy in her 'pen' she stands and moves around in her pen but not trying to get out. I have been changing and disinfecting her bedding alot. She is eating and drinking and talking to us. her wounds are dry and look good - no signs of infection. I am worried though because she is having diarrhea now. Should I add anything else to her treatment? There are no vets around here who see birds. I have some keflex at home but nothing else. Can I put some in her water? Should I?

I have not let her bath yet. I am not sure it is ok.

I really don't have alot of experience here. My son found an egg on the ground while we were out walking and wanted to try to hatch it out. Against all odds we ended up with a goose. That was 2 years ago and she has been very healthy and happy - this is the first time I have had any concerns.

What an extraordinary - and fun - way to acquire a goose! And I'm really happy for you that she seems to be healing just fine.

What are you feeding her? When they're grazing, their poop is usually firm and green - I'm guessing due to all the fibre and cellulose in the grass. When I feed mine dandelions or other leafy greens, his poop gets runnier and more watery. When he's been eating chicken feed or grain, his poop will be of a oatmeal/porridge-like consistency - more or less runny. When he's bored (usually inside the house), he'll sometimes play with the water and drink a lot. He'll then soak through a diaper every 10 minutes with very little or no solids (and then I remove the water
big_smile.png
).

I'm guessing that your goose is fine, but that she doesn't get a whole lot of grass and that maybe she's a bit bored and drinking more than she actually needs. Also, if she's not used to be around the house, she may be a little anxious - which can speed up digestion and make poops runnier.

Last edited:
Quote:
Does she have ducks or chickens that she hangs out with outside? the diarrhea may be from the stress of being confined or separated from her flock. And as long as the wounds aren't deep enough to show internal organs I'd say a bath would help her alot. Is she eating good and drinking good, You could offer her some plain yogurt in with her feed, don't know if she'd eat it though my goose won't eat anything other than his feed and some w/w bread. He doesn't like anything different. I hope she makes a full recovery and will be safe when going back out doors. There is a product called Nutri Drench that is for all poultry which you can add to her water that I find is very good for animals that are going through sickness or injuries.
fl.gif

Last edited:
Same thing has happened to us this year, found an egg, it hatched, we are in love with a goose....But, last week our dog got a hold of her and she is wounded. Infection has set in so we are giving her injections from the vet and trying to get it it clean, What kind of goose do you have?

I think she is an Emden goose but maybe a mix as she has a small grey spot under her wings. It took us awhile after she was born to even figure out she was a goose. It wasn't until the following spring we realized she was a female.

We are her only flock. She used to sleep in this box every night until she started getting out and running around the house in the night. She wouldn't leave a diaper on all night. Then I started leaving her in her pen at night. She really likes being in the house in her box. I think she remembers and it is comforting to her. She is next to the bunny and they love each other. The first few days she would get upset and tremble when my dogs were around so I was keeping them seperated by a gate but today she is more interested in their company. My dogs have always been fine with her and she loves to cuddle up and nap with them. She also likes to groom our dogs it is so cute. The dog that got her was not mine he was visiting and I never gave it a thought when we let him out in the yard since we never had any problem with our dogs.

She has a couple of very deep wounds but I can't actually see bone or tendon or anything like that and no organs. It may sound crazy but I sniff her and she smells fine. I thought maybe I would be able to smell it if she develops and infection. She has denuded areas but some of her wounds are really buried in all those feathers.

She is drinking more water. I never realized that would make her stools looser. She is eating just pellets in the house though she grazed a bit on the Christmas tree and I gave her some hay but I dont' think she really likes the hay. I tried spinach greens and she definitely wasn't impressed. She loves bread but I never give her more than a heel a day. I have never tried yogurt. I do have some. I will take the water away. I did put her on the gated back porch for awhile this morning and she seemed to enjoy looking around but I didn't leave her out long it is very cold here today.

I am glad to know she should be ok with a bath I will give her one right away. she loves playing in the water. Usually the colder the better but I wonder if warm water would be soothing. Her muscles must be sore.

She has a very large fenced in yard to play in. That is very safe. Even the dwarf bunny is not able to get outside the fence. I feel terrible we let the dog out there. He has visited before, in fact he has been coming here frequently since he was a baby, and everything was fine. I will never let a dog in her pen again.

She sounds like such a lovely goose!

Just to make sure I'm not misunderstood: When my goose start playing with the water, I take it away - but only for like an hour or two, depending on his activity level. When he's sleeping inside the house, I take away the water (and the food) before I go to bed. He usually doesn't get thirsty during the night, but he'll sure wake me up if he does.

LOL, Thank you for clarifying. I certainly never thought you meant take it away completely. When I add it up She is drinking more fluid a day that I would so I just didn't refill it as frequently today and the 'viola' the diarrhea has stopped. I am glad I was so worried this morning.

I have to share as only another goose lover would ever get this.

I got up at 3 to let the dogs out. As I walked into the pantry to check on the goose I could see the shadow of the gooses head and the shadow of the boughs from the christmas tree, the shadows were cast by the flames from the fire. I thought to myself well that isn't something you see everyday but it is makes a nice christmas picture. I tried to take a picture with my camera but it wouldn't come out.

In retrospect maybe no one else gets that but I thought it was sweet.

My geese love cabbage. if you have any greens left after making some up she should love them. that and peas. mine fight over them. I know you said she didn't like hay. mine have been in our garden eating flowers that have wilted off to seed heads. if you have any around she might enjoy those while shes healing.

Back
Top Bottom