Advice Please-Hen hatching her eggs today.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by spencer creek, Jan 26, 2009.

1. spencer creek

spencer creek Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2008
    I let my broody Silkie have her way. I am regretting this.

She is on 4 eggs like nobody's business, definately knows what she is doing. She raised a foster chick in November for her old owner. Her chicks are due to hatch today. I am in Michigan, it's very cold, 0 and below. She is on 2nd floor of our insulated horse pole barn in my Chicken loft. The loft is very draft free, clean and safe. It is running about 30 up there. I cannot use any lamps, for the safety of my horses and my clients horses. She is in her own pen, box is on the floor. She has fresh bedding. I am concerned about Chicks getting out of box to eat and drink. Will she show them what to do and make sure they get back under her for warmth? Should I bring them in? Or, should I chill out and let her handle it? I've never had a "hen w/chicks before".

I already have 4-2 week old bator chicks in the house....suggestions please?

Thank you in advance.

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    if it were me..i'd bring her in....[​IMG]

3. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    I have 4 hens with chicks in the barn and the coop. She will take care of them just fine. ............

4. JayBird+16

JayBird+16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Fitzwilliam, NH
    Is there any reason why you wouldn't want to bring them inside until they are a bit older? It just seems less risky.

5. spencer creek

spencer creek Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2008
    It would be a nightmare to bring her and Chicks inside. With our dogs and cat, etc... But I could pull just the chicks.

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:thats what i would do...

7. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    If you have a basement I would bring them inside or any place that you can make safe. It'd be a shame to take the chicks away from their mom. Silkies are so into being moms that she'll be really sad not having them. [​IMG]

I always brought my broodies into the basement in winter.I built them a pen with storage box squares with room to wonder around when chicks got a little older. By the time Spring rolls around they'll be just right for bringing outside.

8. JayBird+16

JayBird+16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Fitzwilliam, NH
    I keep our chicks in a rubbermade tub, half covered and locked in the bathroom, when they are little. This seems to prevent the other house hold animals from bothering them.

9. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    Unless the other chickens are bothering them you could just leave them be...they have a portable heater for gosh sakes! Just make sure they have access to a chickie safe water source that isn't frozen...ex. put marbles/clean 1" pebbles in the trough...

10. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Yeah, I thought about bringing just the chicks in but it seems such a shame since she already hatched you out some babies and didn't get to keep them. I like the idea the one poster said about putting all of them (mom and babies) in the basement - or garage? - or woodshop? etc. Or, another idea might be to just let her keep two and you take the other two? Yeah, I like that idea! Good thinking, Ellen! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by