1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ADVICE please - hot coop or hotter chx tractor? Which one?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Life is Good!, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    Need some advice here....

I've been getting our Java chickens (now nearly 5mo) out first thing in the am and letting them stay outdoors in the (cooler) breezes of the day underneath a huge maple tree in their pvc chicken tractor until dusk when they return to the coop for the night.

However, as an experiment, I put a temperature sensor in the coop to see how hot our very well insulated, also under maple tree, coop has been getting. (check my BYC page for pictures of both - the coop is actually underneath my kid's treehouse so it's fully under the maple tree)

Turns out the coop is (on average) 20 - 30 degrees COOLER than the tractor! With the windows open, it's getting AS MUCH as a breeze as the tractor too!

What would you do in this heat spell?
    Leave the chickens in the coop during the hot part of the day (with something to do - like forage for BOSS in their bedding or peck at a hanging lettuce head?) or
    Let them into the tractor to forage but knowing they're really really hot?

Advice welcome! My chooks are anxious to be out - but NOT in the heat! They only pant when in the tractor - not when in the coop.

Sweatin' under the maple with my Javas.....

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I would keep them in the coop if its cooler there. Another thought though, if you have an out side outlet- could you put a fan on the tractor? That would help, and still allow them to get some time on the grass. I've been opening the gate to my run, and my poor chicks are opting to stay in the run in their nice cool dirt holes. Good luck- this heat is seriously messing with everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by