Advice please, I am down to 12 days......

brezbyme

Songster
Jan 27, 2018
My chicks will be two weeks old this Monday (March 19) and I currently have the 20 chicks in a baby crib (pictured). They are growing like weeds! I already have concerns that the crib is getting too small for them to explore and thrive.
We are moving a large (16x10) shed over by our house to be the coop. It will have electric available for a heat lamp.
I am due to have a pretty major back surgery in 12 days and from what I've been told, I will be highly restricted in movement for a while. I have kids and grandkids to assist me some but I want to try to have the babies settled before the surgery. Will 4 weeks be too young to move them to the coop?
At what age should they be changed from chick feed to regular scratch feed?
I'm trying to get everything setup and in place that they will need for a while, until I'm back on my feet. I will be trying to do all the research I can but thought asking for a advice this way might save me some time.

Attachments

• IMG_0661.jpg
    IMG_0661.jpg
    816.4 KB · Views: 16
I would also suggest a MHP for them. There is no reason they can't go out in the coop now. I'm in MN and brood mine in the coop. I've done so as early as late March with temps getting down in the 20's at night. They will be fine. They can stay on the starter for now. I'd switch them to an all flock grower as they get older. No need for layer feed until they're actually laying.

I would start getting them weaned off heat now, if in the house turn off the light and see how they do, start taking them outside, maybe move brooder to garage. Regular scratch feed? Scratch is not a feed its junk food, keep them on starter crumble and offer oyster shell on the side as they reach point of lay.

I would move them outside under a MHP or Heat plate if you can, they will harden off faster mine weaned themselves off heat in 4 weeks in the coop, lows were in the 20's

Get that coop done asap!

Good luck

Gary

I would start getting them weaned off heat now, if in the house turn off the light and see how they do, start taking them outside, maybe move brooder to garage. Regular scratch feed? Scratch is not a feed its junk food, keep them on starter crumble and offer oyster shell on the side as they reach point of lay.

I would move them outside under a MHP or Heat plate if you can, they will harden off faster mine weaned themselves off heat in 4 weeks in the coop, lows were in the 20's

Get that coop done asap!

Good luck

Gary

I am in Oklahoma and have their crib in a sunroom. The past couple of days I've been turning off the heat lamp because it gets way too warm as the sun rises. The temp when the sun moved west had gone down to about 85 in the crib and they have seemed fine with it.
I am feeding them Purina premium start and grow now. Does that need changed before they are old enough for layer feed?

Back
Top Bottom