Advice Please - I have 3 cockerels

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jlthomas94, Aug 20, 2013.

1. jlthomas94

jlthomas94 New Egg

Aug 20, 2013
    My first flock consists of 5 Silkie chicks. I believe I now have 3 cockerels and 2 hens. They are 16 weeks old now. What do I do? I love them all. Do I add more chickens from a hatchery so that I know I'm getting females? Someone suggested I need 3-4 hens per rooster. Do I separate them?

2. cluck cluck 123

cluck cluck 123 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2013
    Well if they all get along together its fine but I would get more hens and if the roosters start fighting make three different pens and separate them.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    wait it out i say because i thought i had 2 out of 4 silkies that were roosters and they all turned out to be hens... silkies are confusing [​IMG]

4. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    i have my roosters all in together with NO HENS and they don't fight at all sometimes they will peck each other but it is just a brother fight [​IMG]

5. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I see three options:
    You can make a "bachelor pen" away from the hens and put your extra cockerels in there.
    You could sell your extra silkie cockerels and use the money to buy some more hens.
    You could buy some additional hens, but you'll need at least 8 or 10 hens per rooster, so that's a LOT more birds. (Unless they're all caged? Then you can get away with smaller ratios in little breeding pens, like 3 hens per rooster. But not if they're all in one giant flock)

I think you'll have to do something, though--there's gonna be some serious fights with just two hens to three roos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by