Advice Please! I have 5 chickens, 3 Roosters & 2 Hens

The Noodle Farm

In the Brooder
Jun 28, 2016
My chickens are all 16 weeks old. I will be rehoming the roosters tomorrow (can't keep them where I live). Are they going to get separation stress? I've only owned dogs and cats before now. If yes what can I do to make the transition easier for them?

Hi, even if you could have roosters it is recommended to have only one per 8 hens. If you've found a new home for yours, be pleased, many people just kill them. Good luck!

Yes, I'm thankful that they will have a good home. Hopefully the two hens will be enough company for each other. I'm not planning on getting anymore anytime soon.

I think they will be relieved not to have the roosters, it would have been way too stressful for them in the long run.... yes they will keep each other company and you'll have many happy years ahead. And you'll get eggs soon if not already!

Hi

I agree that the pullets will be better off without the cockerels and depending on whether the roos have started harassing them yet, probably relieved. They might be a little unsettled for a few days though as chickens don't like change and they are losing more than half of their little flock at one go. I would be inclined to keep them in for a couple of days (unless it's really hot where you are....it's cold wet and windy here at the mo....typical British summer weathr!!)) and feed them plenty of nutritious treats to comfort them. A mirror might also help them feel a little less isolated. I would however encourage you to get another two pullets. If anything was to happen to one of the ones you have now.... and with chickens that happens all too frequently.... the other would be left on her own, which would be stressful. Introducing one new one on it's own is difficult, which is why I suggest 2.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Regards

Hmm... Didn't think of it that way. I will see my dad has 4 hens and same age as mine and said I can take one. I may take him up on his offer. Thanks for your advice!

I love the mirror idea and I will be sure to spoil them with lots of yummy treats :) This group has been so helpful! Thank you

If your Dad can give you one, then I'd go with that! Then you'll each have 3.....

Back
Top Bottom