Advice, please.....incubator and broody hen info

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenteacher2, Feb 10, 2013.

1. chickenteacher2

chickenteacher2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2012
    Desert, S. CA
    Ok, I bought my 2 SLW eggs to hatch with my other 18 coming in the mail, but I'm not sure when they are due to arrive this week. I don't want to wait too long on these eggs....

So, I have 2 broody hens, but they've been broody for about 4 weeks already. (silkie and silkie/cochin mix hens) I've NEVER done the broody hen thing. Should I go ahead and place the bought eggs under the girls anyway? or should I risk it and wait for my other eggs to arrive to place in the incubator? [​IMG][​IMG]

2. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

This same thing happened to me last year with two orders of eggs. I would just go ahead and put the two eggs under the silkie broody. Silkies are the best mothers, and if you wait too long, the eggs wont be good anymore.

3. chickenteacher2

Apr 24, 2012
    Desert, S. CA
    Thanks, that's what someone else told me.

Do you think she'd be ok if I moved her nest? I have a baby wing already ready for the babies to come, I'd like to put her in there.

4. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

Yess, it is actually better if you move her there. Moving broody hens is tricky though...they tend to think their eggs are back at their old nest and will not sit in the new location you put them in. This happened a few times to me, and the best way to move her is at night, then make sure the place you are moving her too is really dark. You might not have a problem moving your broody just because she is a silkie and they will be happy brooding anywhere lol.

5. chickenteacher2

Apr 24, 2012
    Desert, S. CA
    Both the girls would not sit on the eggs in the new place, so I put the eggs in the old place - they were distressed and I didn't want them to break broody. I'll move the chicks when they hatch or I'll figure something else out.

6. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    try it at night. if the broodies wake up and see all the eggs they might stay broody. and keep them in the dark.

7. chickenteacher2

Apr 24, 2012
    Desert, S. CA
    Tonight going to candle my eggs and try to move the nest again. We'll see how it goes.

8. chickenteacher2

Apr 24, 2012
    Desert, S. CA
    The nest move is a no-go. Hen would NOT sit on them anywhere else. Bummer, moved them back. BUT, there is growth in 2 of them. [​IMG]

9. chickenteacher2

Apr 24, 2012
    Desert, S. CA
    I tried tonight in the dark, she would not sit on them anywhere but where she was. I just hope I haven't ruined her broody.

10. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I have tried to move a nest before, hens are stubborn, I had one hen lay in a nest box everyone liked to use, tried to move her didn't work, didn't want to break her broody so I attached pipe holders to the sides of the pen where she was nesting and slipped in the wooden fence siderails from a radio flyer wagon so she could stay in and other hens had to stay out. in the mornings I would take her out for 15-20 min, replacing the rails and then put her back in, usually she would ask to be put back with her babies after she had a quick eat,drink and poop. It is important to separate he so she doesn't keep getting new eggs in the nest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by