Advice Please: Injured Chicken Foot

TheSupremes

Chirping
Oct 21, 2021
One of our chickens has had an injured foot for a few days. We noticed two weekends ago that she had a bloody foot. Upon closer inspection we saw it was a small (half a centimeter-ish) divot on the top of her foot. We cleaned it up a bit, separated her from the flock and put her in a cage. The next day, it seemed like the bleeding eventually stopped and a scab started to form on it. We let her out of the cage and let her roam around with one other chicken. Then about five days later I heard her yelling really loud and went out to find that the wound had reopened, was bleeding, and had actually formed a jelly-like clot on top. We cleaned the wound, soaked her foot in an Epsom salt bath, and then bandaged it up with some Polysporin. We also got some Vetericyn and started using that. We've been changing the bandage, Epsom bathing, and applying Vetericyn for a few days now. The wound formed a black clot on top and then the last day or so it seemed to start swelling a bit... (It's also been raining and things have been wet outside -- don't know if that matters...) Then today we found that the clot had come off (I think she picked it off because the bandage got lose) and now there is like a red bubble there... Any suggestions for whether this is moving in the positive direction or if it's getting worse? Is this Bumblefoot??

IMG_0256.jpg

And now it also looks like maybe one of our other chickens is developing an issue... ???

IMG_0257.jpg

The wound on her foot looks like it's getting better to me because it's fresh blood and it's not appearing to have any infection. Is she limping on it?

The other foot looks like it's bumble to me. It's a big one by the look of it but they usually are darker black inside the 'hole'.

First thing is to clean it (I use a VERY weak iodine solution for this (a few drops in water which then looks like the weakest tea you've ever seen - literally normal water with a tiny tinge to it, not dark in any way at all) but it's a process you need to do for several days, cleaning out any gunk that collects in or on it. Soaking her foot in the water (or very weak solution of iodine) will soften the bumble up and you can in time remove it. We use a toothbrush to gently clean it and eventually you see the bumble lift. Others may suggest something other than iodine but that's what a very gave me for it some years ago. Literally 3 or 4 drops in a mug of water.

If you can get medicated ointment, this is really helpful. Triple antibiotic ointment is very good. Else get an antiseptic ointment instead.

Keeping it clean (so twice a day at least) and dressed with whatever ointment you can get (just rub it into the bumble, not lather it all over else she'll eat it) and it should clear up. Usually takes about a week or so.

That one looks deep, so may take a bit more time and it possibly hurts her as she walks on it but it is necessary to stop it as if it progresses too far, it can be rather unpleasant for the bird. Is she noticeably limping of walking with a bit of a stomp?

Some folks gouge out the bumble and then fill it with ointment (a bit like the way we treated verrucas on us years ago!) but I'm not keen on that method. Just regularly clean it at least twice a day and you'll see it start to lift and at some point, it'll come off. It may even bleed a bit - just dress it and keep dirt out.

Good luck. As usual, that's my way of doing it. Others may have different ways. They also may suit something about the first picture that I haven't.

The wound on her foot looks like it's getting better to me because it's fresh blood and it's not appearing to have any infection. Is she limping on it?

The other foot looks like it's bumble to me. It's a big one by the look of it but they usually are darker black inside the 'hole'.

First thing is to clean it (I use a VERY weak iodine solution for this (a few drops in water which then looks like the weakest tea you've ever seen - literally normal water with a tiny tinge to it, not dark in any way at all) but it's a process you need to do for several days, cleaning out any gunk that collects in or on it. Soaking her foot in the water (or very weak solution of iodine) will soften the bumble up and you can in time remove it. We use a toothbrush to gently clean it and eventually you see the bumble lift. Others may suggest something other than iodine but that's what a very gave me for it some years ago. Literally 3 or 4 drops in a mug of water.

If you can get medicated ointment, this is really helpful. Triple antibiotic ointment is very good. Else get an antiseptic ointment instead.

Keeping it clean (so twice a day at least) and dressed with whatever ointment you can get (just rub it into the bumble, not lather it all over else she'll eat it) and it should clear up. Usually takes about a week or so.

That one looks deep, so may take a bit more time and it possibly hurts her as she walks on it but it is necessary to stop it as if it progresses too far, it can be rather unpleasant for the bird. Is she noticeably limping of walking with a bit of a stomp?

Some folks gouge out the bumble and then fill it with ointment (a bit like the way we treated verrucas on us years ago!) but I'm not keen on that method. Just regularly clean it at least twice a day and you'll see it start to lift and at some point, it'll come off. It may even bleed a bit - just dress it and keep dirt out.

Good luck. As usual, that's my way of doing it. Others may have different ways. They also may suit something about the first picture that I haven't.
Thank you very much!! Neither the cream legbar (first picture) nor the crested polish (second picture) are limping now and seem to be in good spirits. But definitely don't want things to get worse!

Back
Top Bottom