Advice Please! My Dominique Hen Has Started A Bad Behavior.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AHDCST, Feb 12, 2012.

1. AHDCST

AHDCST Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    [​IMG] Okay, maybe not bad but odd. She has started sparring with the water container. She started kicking at it while it was hanging up. Yes, kicking it! I thought maybe it was an accident at first but I saw her a couple of days ago. She would kick it with her feet and then roll in the mud it made in the bottom of the pen. I tried setting it on the ground but yesterday she was drop kicking it! I would think it was funny except it leaves it empty and there are 5 hens and a roo in the pen that have to have water. I need some advice or my husband is going to take her to the sale! I really would like to have this resolved before the weather starts getting warm out. That could be a month from now or 4 months, we never know here in NC!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Hi from the other end of NC! Is your container metal? She may be seeing her reflection in it and trying to kick it's *****. If it's metal, consider spray painting it with some rustoleum or wrapping it in some duct tape. Chickens are silly critters sometimes. And I know what you mean about the weather. The past couple nights are the only ones so far that have frozen the chicken water. Today I put out the cookie tin warmers I made to set the waterers on and in the big nipple waterer I put an aquarium heater.

3. AHDCST

AHDCST Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    [​IMG] Okay, maybe I am being dunce but what do you mean by"cookie tin heaters"? The water is in a clear plastic container with a red rim for them to drink out of. It is just a basic water thing from TSC. I would love to hear how you keep them for freezing. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by