advice please newbie back again

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by katysingl25, Jun 26, 2011.

1. katysingl25

katysingl25 New Egg

Jun 26, 2011
    my one and only hatchlinh is drying out and fluffing up nicely but still has a piece of shell still attached, looks like umblical, it semms to be stopping it getting to its feet
    do i take it off and if so how, i really do not want to do it any damage but i really want it to suceed, it is my first attempt and the whole family are willing it to survive even the Jack russel is on chick watch, any advice would be good i know its late
    many thanks:/

2. jeanniejayne

jeanniejayne Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    mid-Delaware
    If it is just a smal piece of shell I would leave it alone. It will fall off soon enough. If it is really large and is interfering with movement you might try chipping bits off, but don't pull or you might hurt your wee one. [​IMG]

3. katysingl25

katysingl25 New Egg

Jun 26, 2011
    great Why didn't i think of that DOoooou........
    many thanks
    it been a long weekend:rolleyes:

4. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    I know how you feel! I have hatched dozens of times and always am nervous when the chicks hatch. I usually keep the shell stuck to them and it usually falls off sooner or later. Remember not to take the baby chick out before it is dry. I was so anxious my first hatch about taking the chick out so it had room in the brooder. I couldnt have been more wrong!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by