Advice please on a coop

shuizar209

Songster
10 Years
Jul 11, 2009
Riverside
My DH is going to build me a new coop. Does anyone have any advice on what to do and what NOT to do. If you can post pics of your coops. Thanks guys....

Well-lets start with how many and what kind of chickens do you have or are getting or wanting? Are you in urban or rural? What state? These questions would help.

Oooops. Sorry. Ok so Right now I have 8 chicks. 1 RIR. Keeping 1 chick. getting 2 easter eggers and a silkie. So 5 chickens altogether.

I want 6 to 7. The coop will need to house at least that many.

I llive in california. I live in orange county with a very large back yard. I know what that is. Urban/rural?

Hope this helps.

Full sized chickens is 4 square feet of coop space per bird. You're wanting 6-7, so you will need 28 square feet of coop space. Plan on 9 birds max as you'll no doubt want more.

So....

7 birds = 28 square feet
+ 2 more birds = 36 square feet

At 28 square feet, you could do an 4' by 8' coop and have room to spare, coming in at 32 square feet of floor space BEFORE walls. They take up space after all. But still happily enough for 7 birds.

At 36 square feet, a 6' by 8' coop would be fine, coming in at 48 square feet.

As far as a run, you will need 10 square feet per bird. So 7 birds need 70 square feet and 9 birds need 90 square feet. You can do the math on those x'*y' wise.

Since you're in Cali you might well be better off with a three walled coop due to the heat. Unless you're in the hills. Keep the open wall pointing in the OPPOSITE direction of the prevailing wind, as rain will drive in otherwise.

If your birds are free range, ignore the above, but I doubt you'd range them. Just a hunch.

I have two backyards one that is especially for my birds and rabbit. So they are free range. They roam all over that yard so I wouldnt need a run. Do you have a pic? To get some ideas. Thank you so much for that info.

Quote:
Depends on the mood, but USUALLY means DEAR Husband.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom