advice please on borrowed incubator.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by my4ladies, Apr 13, 2012.

1. my4ladies

my4ladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2010
    This is a what would you do kind of question. Incubators at TSC are on sale where I live for about $40. I could go that route and by a new one.... but I just spent $85 on fertile eggs.

On that same note, I don't want to chance $85 going down the drain if I borrow my friend's incubator which had an egg explode in it. I'm concerned about bacteria and all that. But...it was years ago...would the bacteria even be alive anymore? It's an old incubator, I think she said she got it in the early 90's...and she hasn't used it inforever, so I can't judge it's performance by her hatch rate.

So what do you think? Splurge and get the new, or do you think borrowing my friend's would be just fine?

Thanks in advance ; )

2. Blue EE

Blue EE Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2012
    Bleach water and spray out the old one. Plug it in and start watching your thermometer and humidity. Before you put the eggs in. A new one is not always best. Will this be your only hatch? Does your friends have an egg turner? It is about a $40 add on to get a turner, which keeps you from opening it 3 to 4 times a day which causes huge temperature swings which kills eggs. The brand name can be searched here for both incubators to see real users comments about them. 99.5'F and good humidity control is the goal.

3. my4ladies

my4ladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2010
    awesome! Thanks. Good to hear that using the older one might not actually be a death sentence for the eggies. Very encouraging!!

And yes, hers does have an egg turner ; ) ...the new one probably not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by