1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Advice please on laying hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Plantagenon, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Plantagenon

Plantagenon New Egg

Aug 28, 2014
    I have 4 red laying hens in their own yard around 6 x 6 metres. The yard has a good sized shed for laying, roosting and weather protection. The hens have been together since chicks and are a bit over a year old.

I noticed today one of the hens appears to have a red, swollen bottom. Feathers are missing from this area. She is still very active.

Would the problem be disease or infection related or would it result from an attack from another hen. There is no sign of bleeding.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

2. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    Is it possible to post a pic of her hinney? Is it swollen up and looks like feathers are missing? Does it feel hard or mushy when you touch it? Hot or normal temp?

It could be pecking or even eyp. A picture would help and others to post, several in forums mention swollen abdomens you may want to search and read those too. A bunch have pictures you may be able to match to your hen.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by