Advice please? stash of eggs found

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by robcourt, Oct 4, 2012.

1. chuck them

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. eat them

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. feed them to the dogs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. use a different quality check method (please elaborate, if so :)

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. robcourt

robcourt New Egg

Oct 1, 2011
    I have two white barred rock hens who have been laying for about 6 weeks now.

They started strong with two a day, yet in the past few weeks that has dwindled. I just chalked it up to their development. Alas, tonight I found a stash, exactly 12 eggs, hidden in a corner [​IMG]

I did the good old "water test" to see if they stood on end -- none did. They all laid nice and flat on the bottom of the bowl. I should add, I am in Ohio and it has been rather cool lately, with temps in mid 40's to mid 60's.

So my question... Do you think the eggs are good? What would you do? I cherish my eggs and they are a staple in my diet. If I had a bunch of layers, and eggs for that matter, I would feed these to my dogs... But I'm torn! Please weigh in!!

Thanks in advance!

2. MrChickenMan

MrChickenMan New Egg

Oct 3, 2012
    Glendale, CA
    If you have a nesting area, then they should go there, but some chickens would rather go somewhere hidden. I don't know why they like to do this, probably because they still have a wild streak in them. What you should do is search your chickens' area to find eggs, once you find their hidden nests, you can easily collect their eggs. But be sure to leave 1 or 2 behind, because if you don't, they might move on to another place. Or you could just leave 1 or 2 fake eggs in their nesting areas. I have chickens who do the same, and it works very well.

3. DianaMallory

DianaMallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    Do you pen them up at night? If so leave them penned up in the coop with easy access to the nesting boxes until they are done laying. Then let them out into their run.

4. MamaRudey

MamaRudey Chillin' With My Peeps

If they passed the float test I'd eat em!

5. robcourt

robcourt New Egg

Oct 1, 2011
    Thanks MamaRudey, that is my gut reaction but I am curious what others think.
    Mr.Chicken and Diana, thanks for the tips on stopping this behavior - it is completely my fault, however, and not a habit that need broken. They have laying boxes that they use pretty consistently.. these eggs must be laid before 8am, when I let them out of their roosting box. I have a raccoon proof pen they sleep in at night, its only big enough for their food and water--the nesting boxes are in the larger, yet older, chicken coop that I learned earlier this season is NOT raccoon proof. that was a nightmare...

6. coffeenutdesign

coffeenutdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2012
    Texas
    I would eat them, but I would crack them one at a time into a separate bowl to check them first, just in case. Should be fine, though.

7. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    X2. I would definitely crack them one at a time into a bowl first, just in case. But there's no reason not to eat them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by