advice please! stitched hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bad Wolf, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Bedford, NH
    My rooster ripped open the side of my hen. I stitched it together. Now, I've been reading on other posts that you shouldn't stitch it. It was a huge open hole. Should I snip the thread so it's not stitched anymore?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Open the lower portion of the gash so that abscessation does not take place. I don't know the magnitude of her wound, but generally such wounds will heal from the outside inwards with granulation tissue forming around the edges. Applying non pain additive Neosporin and protection from flies are generally enough to allow healing. It's amazing how such wounds can heal. Keep her away from the rooster until she is healed. It might also be a good idea to trim his toenails and blunt his spurs.

3. Bad Wolf

Apr 26, 2012
    Bedford, NH
    How do I blunt his spurs?

4. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Some people actually remove the spurs - there is a thread about that. I simply cut the sharp tips off with dog nail clippers or file them down. I sometimes think that toenails do more damage than the spurs, but both should be addressed.

5. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    How is your hen doing?

6. Bad Wolf

Apr 26, 2012
    Bedford, NH
    She is doing well, thank you.
    She is in the house and taking it easy. She still trys to pick at the area, but she isn't doing any damage. The stitched area seems to be healing and I can't see an infection. I haven't smelled anything foul so I am hoping this is a good sign.
    Thank you again!

7. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sounds good! Even as long as I have had chickens, I am still amazed by their healing capabilities.

8. sono-chic

sono-chic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2013
    Putnam county Florida
    I have just had the same thing happen to a hen. Huge gash I could see muscle but no damage. I cleaned her up with betadine, pushed the skin back into place and applied a light coat of superglue. But not sealing the entire wound. Then globed neosporin over entire area. She is healing great. Isn't happy about being separated from roo but she will be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by