Advice please - suspected MG

Heidis29

Songster
Jan 29, 2022
I purchased four new pekins a week ago and have kept them in a separate run (but along side another run) I have just noticed one hen appears to have some bubbles on one eye and is more lethargic than the others. She is eating. Suspect MG. So question is…
Treat and wait for symptoms to go before introducing them to my flock?
or is it too late, my flock will have contracted it anyway? Not sure how contagious it is.
Or are the four of them destined for 🌈?

Pic of the four in question and proximity to other flock members. Black hen is one showing symptoms.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
81A26DDF-2998-48B9-AEC2-D0DE0235DBF6.jpeg

Best guess is that your old flock has been exposed either through cross contamination (you hang out with the new birds, get poop on your shoes, dander on your clothes, and then go to your old flock bringing some of the bacteria with you) or through the air. It's definitely more contagious from birds showing symptoms, but I think asymptomatic carriers can still shed the bacteria.

The good news is that MG is usually a pretty mild disease and only rears its head when a bird is stressed or otherwise immune compromised. I wouldn't even treat the new birds unless they start showing more symptoms. I would keep the flocks separate until everyone is feeling well because 1) integrating birds is stressful and stressed birds are much more prone to illness and 2) your old flock has a better chance of staying healthy with less exposure to the bacteria/sick birds.

I purchased four new pekins a week ago and have kept them in a separate run (but along side another run) I have just noticed one hen appears to have some bubbles on one eye and is more lethargic than the others. She is eating. Suspect MG. So question is…
Treat and wait for symptoms to go before introducing them to my flock?
or is it too late, my flock will have contracted it anyway? Not sure how contagious it is.
Or are the four of them destined for 🌈?

Pic of the four in question and proximity to other flock members. Black hen is one showing symptoms.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! View attachment 3367939
Can you post some photos of their faces and eyes?

Being right next to your existing flock, likely everyone is exposed to whatever the newbies have.
Here's some reading about poultry diseases https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/ps044

Best guess is that your old flock has been exposed either through cross contamination (you hang out with the new birds, get poop on your shoes, dander on your clothes, and then go to your old flock bringing some of the bacteria with you) or through the air. It's definitely more contagious from birds showing symptoms, but I think asymptomatic carriers can still shed the bacteria.

The good news is that MG is usually a pretty mild disease and only rears its head when a bird is stressed or otherwise immune compromised. I wouldn't even treat the new birds unless they start showing more symptoms. I would keep the flocks separate until everyone is feeling well because 1) integrating birds is stressful and stressed birds are much more prone to illness and 2) your old flock has a better chance of staying healthy with less exposure to the bacteria/sick birds.
Thank you, that is really reassuring info and greatly appreciated 👍

Back
Top Bottom