Advice please.. young rooster with cut comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChicoChickens, Jun 27, 2008.

1. ChicoChickens

ChicoChickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2008
    Chico, CA
    Our young rooster (4 1/2 weeks old) caught his comb on the metal feeder and sliced about 1/4" into it. Thankfully my daughter saw it happen so we stopped the bleeding and applied some watered-down tea tree oil to prevent infection. It looks to be closed nicely but I'm wondering if there is anything else we should do for it? Thanks all!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Sounds like you did well. Just keep monitoring it for signs of infection.... and give him some TLC.

3. a2ms4chickens

a2ms4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    I would put neosporin on it for a few days to help prevent infection. Depending on the cut, I would also probably separate him until it is healed, so it doesn't get pecked by the other chickens.

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Keep it clean, disenfected, and try to keep the wound closed. It should heal fairly quickly.

You may want to get some blue-kote or something to keep the other birds from pecking it, but with it being a red comb it may not be a problem. I have never had a problem with the hens pecking a comb wound.

Matt

5. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*wash the cut with a dab of antibacterial soap ( using cold water may keep it from beginning to bleed much.) then, apply some neosporin. DO NOT use the pain relieving kind with benzocaine. Bad for chickens. P.S.-Find a way to fix that feeder asap.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  6. FlockEweFarm

FlockEweFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Flagstaff,AZ
    Question folks, I use super glue to fix my own cuts, and those on my hounds and my oldest boy, and yeah,, it stings like monkey blood does,(Iodine) [​IMG] but it works and helps things heal pretty quick, question is, can it be used on chickens?

7. ChicoChickens

ChicoChickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2008
    Chico, CA
    Thanks for the advice everybody, it helps a lot.[​IMG]

8. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    superglue is not the same as tissue glue... it is toxic and as the comb has a lot of blood going through it I would not take the chance on using it on that area.
    Please do not EVER use teatree oil on or near an open wound .... it is toxic!!!!

9. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    My friend is a vet. He told me the following for open wounds on poultry:

Clean the area gently with water.

Apply Neosporin.

DO NOT BANDAGE!

Separate from flock until healed.

We had two Turken hens that were ripped up by roosters on their exposed naked necks. We used these instuctions, reapplying the Neosporin only once more, and they were both healed up in about a week. The Turkens now have their own pen!

Good luck! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by