Advice Please :)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Louieandthecrew, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

Hey all!
    I recently got an early Christmas present from my family and, guess what it was: an incubator! I am wanting to hatch some of my own eggs and I am having some Australorp eggs shipped to me (possibly, not sure about the Australorp eggs). I would LOVE to hatch some of my eggs, but I have a problem. Someone that I know told me that if I hatched my own chicks from my hens/roos, that they would turn out... abnormal? [​IMG] I have different breeds, so this is VERY believable!
    My Breeds:

Red Brown Cochin Rooster
    Welsummer Rooster
    Mutt Rooster (Don't know exact breeds)
    Red Brown Cochin/Red Sex Link Cockerel (My hens hatched)
    Black Cochin/White Japanese Cockerel (My hens hatched)

Red Sex Link Hen
    Barred Plymouth Rock Hen

(The cockerels are not yet mating)

First, I know, I know, WAY too many rooster for two hens! I am selling three of the rooster ASAP!
    Second, do you think it will work to hatch some chicks from these breeds? I don't want some abnormal chicks!

Thank you for your help,
    Louie

PS. I am a female, Louie is my oldest rooster and the other chickens are his 'crew'. Call me Louie for short, anyways [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    Hatch them and you will get designer chickens.

Still chickens

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Where in the world did you hear that bunch of nonsense? Gather then, set them and wait to see what you get. My last hatch of designer chicks is 2 weeks old and I have two yellow ones with black spots. [​IMG]

4. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    We had a pen FULL of mutt chickens. we bred them, and got the most gorgeous chickens on earth! Don't breed

brother and sister chickens/parent and child chickens, cause THATS when you got a chance of getting abnormal

chickens. A big one at that. Breeding mutts is perfectly fine. To often are shipped eggs 'duds' and they get

shook up from being handled and in the mail, so you might spend money on shipped eggs, then none

or very few hatch. Your own eggs will be your best bet [​IMG] good luck!

-Becca

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  5. Louieandthecrew

Thanks to you all! That's great to know! I'll be setting some of my eggs soon and we'll just have to see what happens! I've decided that I'll ALSO be ordering, but I'll have some of my own extraordinary chicks too [​IMG] Thank you [​IMG]

6. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

I love mutts.. Here are my 1 week old mut.. I mean designer breed chickens.. out side playing for the first time today..

[​IMG]

7. Louieandthecrew

Wow! They are so pretty! Yay! I can't wait to set those eggs!

I am also going to order some eggs though so that I'll have some pure breeds too.
    Question: What are some good prices and places to order some fertile eggs?

I'm looking particularly for:
    Plymouth Rocks - Barred
    Welsummers - Red Partridge
    Orpingtons - Buff (Ordering McMurray Hatchery BO chicks in the Spring - 15 of them)
    Wyandottes - Silver Laced or Blue Laced Red
    Brahmas (Not as preferred)
    Australorps - Black

If you know of any other pretty, sufficient-laying hens/breeds, please tell me!

Thanks!

8. wilkey44

wilkey44 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    Central Oklahoma
    have you ever watched chicks chase a lady bug accross the ground, now does that look normal to you HEHEHHEE

9. Louieandthecrew

Quote:Hah! I'd love to see that!

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Louie go to the eggs for sale section of BYC. There are no guarantees, but it's better than Ebay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by