1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Advice Please.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sarah2912, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Sarah2912

Sarah2912 New Egg

Jun 25, 2011
    Hi,
    I'm new to the forum so please bare with me.

I had 4 hens bought at POL a yr ago. 3 weeks ago I added 3 more (speckledy, black rock and a silkie) The black rock died suddenly 3 days after we got hershe wasn't right from the start but I assumed she needed time to settle. The farm I bought her from gave me a replacement black rock who is perfect.

However this last wk one of my original birds has seemed ill. I seperated her and she spent 3 days indoors I gave her worming meds (think she had worms) checked her all over and found nothing (she has lost feathers on her chest are and isn't laying I assumed she was broody or molting???) gave her fluids via syringe (she wasn't eating or drinking) She improved and went back outside yesterday. However this morning my speckledy (new bird) wasn't outside so when i went to check she seemed v ill so bought her indoors where she seemed to have some sort of fit throwing her head back and was unable to stand (she was fine yesterday and was running around garden?) She died shortly afterwards.
    My original poorly bird still isn't 100% and i'm panicking that by bringing new birds into the flock i've also bought some sort of disease. Apart from the one that was poorly the others seem fine and are very cheeky and cuddly still.
    I'm just unsure as to what to do. I've disinfected the house and raked hosed swept the run today, changed all food and water pots but really don't know why my speckledy died so suddenly or if Flora one of my originals is going to get better.
    My boys were heartbroken today and i really want to do the right thing getting back the happy healthy harmonious balance we had before introducing the new hens. Any advice Please?
    Thanks in advance
    Sarah

2. Sarah2912

Sarah2912 New Egg

Jun 25, 2011
    Sorry should have done this

1) What type of bird , age and weight. Bovans goldline 18mths old

2) What is the behavior, exactly. Head down, low appetite, quiet

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 1 week

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No (but had the other one die suddenly)

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Nothing i can think of

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. natural yoghurt sweetcorn not sure about layers pellets

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. saw a poo with worms so gave her worming treatment

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? piperazine?? worming and Verm x in pellets but not sure she's eaten any pellets

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I would like to treat her myself if possible she has improved since she was first poorly but isn't right still

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use house attached to run (12ftx12ft) sawdust and newspaper in house/nestboxes and the run is bare earth now

Hope somebody can help. really worried
    Thanks

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  5. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Hi Sarah2912,

be very careful syringing water as birds can easily inhale it. Drop by drop onto the lower beak (and wait till swallowing) is the way to go.

As for the illness, I agree with the earlier poster, you may need to organise testing. If you see symptoms pull the sick birds out immediately, and put them in an isolation cage to monitor. Vitamins in the water may help with immune response. Describe any symptoms (e.g. runny nose, chest gurgle) on here and people will help.

Usually with diseases there's an incubation period and unfortunately what you're describing does seem to fit. But we need a closer description... [​IMG]

Don't be hard on yourself, we've all neglected quarantine at some point.

Hugs,
    Erica

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by