Advice Please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Karhog, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Karhog

Karhog Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    Hello- You may not remember but my chook Bertha has been poorly and for the last three weeks I have been 'nursing' her back to health. (fingers crossed)
    She has completed a course of Anti Biotics and I have also been treating for Cocci as a precaution (3 days left to go)
    Her appetite is gradually picking up but I am still going out of my way to find stuff that she will eat. She is still very underweight. Her poohs have improved massivley from what they were but I have noticed she seems to be pooping out lashes every now and then.
    I have also noticed her comb has begun to flop a bit to one side though it's still a lovely red colour- eyes are bright.
    Do you think this is just a by product of her having not been well? She seems happy to scratch and peck around the garden with her friends.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Pooping out what? Lashes?

3. Karhog

Feb 15, 2012
    Yes, rubbery 'sausagy' things that range in size from a peanut to a small thumb. I believe they are from the reproductive tract, usually older or exbattery hens produce these from time to time.

4. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Is she passing wads of yolk?

5. Karhog

Feb 15, 2012
    I would say no- I don't think it is yolk. I previously had a chook with egg peritonitis who was and this appears different. If it were egg peritonitis is there actually anything I can do? Thanks for the reply by the way.

6. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    A picture might help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by