1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Advice please :)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pinkribbons4, Apr 18, 2012.

1. pinkribbons4

pinkribbons4 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2012
    Vermont
    Hey everyone! So I need your advice. My babies are 8 weeks old, and have been outside in their coop for almost 2 weeks now. We've been keeping their heat lamp on at night, and off during the day. The days have been between 60 and 80...and the nights between 35 and 50...my question is this...when can I start turning the heat lamp off at night? I want to turn it off full time now, as I feel like they need to get use to living without it, but my husband keeps saying we should keep it on at night. It's funny because I thought I would be the big softy [​IMG]

Thanks y'all!

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    They should be fine without it just make sure you turn off before it starts getting dark. So they can go to bed.

3. dirtbath

dirtbath Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2009
    North Carolina
    How many chicks do you have? Do they huddle together to keep each other warm? Mine too are 8 weeks old and they do not sleep with the heat lamp on, but the night temp is a regulated 67 degrees. I would say if it's 45 or 50 dgrees and they huddle you'll be fine. Less than 45 degrees and I would just turn it on during those sporadic temperature drops. If they are in a draft free coop though, I think you'll be totally fine.

4. pinkribbons4

pinkribbons4 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2012
    Vermont
    I have 8 chickies, and they do cuddle together when they get cold. This is what my coop looks like...The plexiglass is no longer on the windows...we replaced that with hardware cloth.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. dirtbath

dirtbath Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2009
    North Carolina
    Pretty coop!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by