Advice Please!

Tin Flamingo

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 11, 2012
My hens are just over 3 months old. I have a enclosed run. I want to start to allow them time out in the lawn. One side of my yard has a four foot chain link. How likely are they to just jump the fence? My neighbor is fighting me about getting a wood fence. Was thinking about letting them explore for like 30 mins or so just before sunset, hoping they would just wander a little then head inside as they usually do. Any and all advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys
hugs.gif

I don't anticipate that they'd jump that high (at least not consistently). What kind of chickens are they? I know my normal sized birds (as compared to bantams) do not (and have not) jumped/flown that high. Also, if you're only letting them out 30 minutes before dark, they would stay close to their coop. Chickens aren't likely to be exploring new areas at dusk...they instinctually come "home" when the sun starts to set. I don't think they'd scale that high of a fence unless there was something chasing them and they viewed it as a way to stay safe.

Thanks Riley. I have a mixed yard. 1 each, buff orpington, black austrolorp, columbian wyndote, welsummer, RIR, and a light Brahma. All quite big. The wyndote is the smallest. But at 14 weeks, they still have lots of growing left don't they?

So, do you just eyeball them and wait for the run away to roost and hope you can reach them?

What's the best technique for retrieving the wayward hen?

If they are used to roosting in their coop, they will probably just go back on their own when it's time. They like to roost in familiar places. I use scratch to get mine to do what I want. They know what it looks like when I have a bowl of scratch and I toss some in the coop to get them to go in. It's their reward for doing what I want.

They do like the coop and spend time in there even during the day when the door is open. I am encouraged to let them roam a bit, soon, without the dogs around. They have a healthy dislike of the goldens.

If they consider the coop or run "home" it'll help. Encouraging them with treats is an excellent idea as well.

Ours have escaped the run a couple times and we let them wander for a bit, then have a rousing game of "chase the chicken" till we get them all back in the run, LOL. It's sort of like herding sheep or cattle...works better with 2 or 3 people and you kind of walk behind 'em with your arms out "pushing" them the way you want them to go. If you have a board or piece of fencing you can herd them along into the run, it's easier.

They do like the coop and spend time in there even during the day when the door is open. I am encouraged to let them roam a bit, soon, without the dogs around. They have a healthy dislike of the goldens.

The chickens dislike your golden dogs or the dogs dislike your golden chickens? I have to ask because I have a golden retriever and the larger part of my chickens are golden sex link, lol. (I also have pink flamingos in my front yard, love your avatar!)

Back
Top Bottom