Advice please

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Kipsie, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Kipsie

Kipsie New Egg

Nov 16, 2013
    Thank you for the warm welcome.

Well, you will be pleased to know that Agnes is sitting on 12 eggs. I've worked out that they should hatch next Wednesday (21 days) or I guess before as she is a Bantam.

My dilemma is this ... she has made her nest in a disused wire hanging basket at the side of the house. What I want to do is move her into a chicken house with a run attached .. do I try to move her before the chicks hatch or after? I think before would be a better idea but my husband disagrees.

2. [​IMG]

I had a hen hatch chicks in a bush, (3 chicks) we knew it would be dangerous because of predators, so after the 3 chicks hatched we moved her. I would do it after. She may not sit on the eggs if you move her now. She will care for her chicks. Good Luck!

3. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! How secure is the area she is nesting in? Is there any way you can build/put a cage around her without disturbing her? If you don't know how good a broody she is from past experience, I would hesitate to move her this late in the game in case she decides to panic or abandon the eggs. As Liz9910 said, if you do need to move her, try to move the whole nest/basket, do it after dark, and try to keep everything very quiet and calm.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG]Happy you joined us! And Merry Christmas!

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Some hens handle being moved very well, and others desert the nest. I would be inclined to move her after the chicks hatch. Good luck.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by