Advice please

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chix88, Mar 10, 2014.

1. chix88

chix88 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2014
    North Yorkshire UK
    New Girl ..just today let my very first 4 hen flock out for supervised free range .The pol barnvelders have been confined separate but within view hearing and smell of the 2 hybrid pullets at first ok then after a couple of hours freeranging dominant barnvelder was really going for one particular hybrid ...is this just pecking order or do I have a problem [​IMG]

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    They'll be some pecking, to settle the pecking order, ahah!
    If there are copious amounts of blood drawn....or the pecking just doesn't let up, you may have a problem.
    How long were they within view but separate?

Maybe keep them in view but separate for another week or so, then try the ranging again.
    If only one of the old birds is being mean, maybe separate that bird for a week or so and let the rest stay together.

Then reintroduce the bully during freerange.

Good Luck!

3. chix88

Mar 4, 2014
    North Yorkshire UK
    Thanks for that ive had both lots of hens for one week in two separate runs but next to each other.Ill see how they get on tomorrow and take a view hoping mean Mabel isn't going to be a problem shes a lovely looking chicken .

4. chix88

Mar 4, 2014
    North Yorkshire UK
    Unfortunately Mean Mabel the Barnvelder just got meaner ...making the two hybirids bleed so ...shes gone .I manage to part -ex her for two more hybrids all in same coop tonight four hybrids and remaining barnvelder ..so fingers crossed for hen harmony in the morning [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by