Advice please

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Libs40, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Libs40

Libs40 New Egg

Sep 6, 2014
    I have four chickens two of which we introduced around 3 months ago. My old two have been sneezing and having clear nasal discharge. It wasn't clearing so took them both to the vet who has put them on antibiotics via injection in their breast. They are on day 3 of a 7 day course. I am worried the new two will catch it, do you think I am too late to separate them?

2. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Put some ACV in the water and you should always have new flock members separated for a week minimum as you just never know if they have brought something new you do not want ......

Yes I would separate [​IMG]

3. Libs40

Libs40 New Egg

Sep 6, 2014
    I have ordered some ACV off amazon today so should get it next week, I have also gone to the local pet store and bought some mineral boost. My girls have a big shed and fox proof run, haven't a clue how to separate them, will have to have a think. To be honest that is why I haven't separated them earlier, have nowhere to put them :( Thanks for the advice!

4. LIChickens

LIChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Long Island, NY
    Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information. Ask a question and you will get many good answers.

Read the FAQ below.

Do some research on "biosecurity"

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

The incubation period for most respiratory ailments is about 10 days. So these will either come down with it or become immune. However, most likely they will all be carriers for the rest of their days.

It is always best to quarantine new birds for one month before mixing with your present flock so that you don't endanger your birds.

I am all for probiotics for poultry. 70% of the immune system lies in the intestines. And the healthier you keep the intestines, the healthier the immune system is. Probiotics are good bacteria. They also add oxygen to the intestinal tract. Pathogens cannot survive in places with good bacteria and oxygen. They thrive on the lack of oxygen and bad bacterias. Since most pathogens enter the body through the intestines, if their systems are beefed up with healthy bacteria and oxygen, the chances are a lot less likely that these bad pathogens will take hold. I give my birds probiotics several times a week.

If you chose to go the route of ACV, use 1 tablespoon per gallon of water. Use plastic waterers only and change the water daily and make new. Start with one week straight on ACV and then switch to a couple times a week. ACV will help to raise the PH of the birds body over time, to help fight off bacteria and fungus.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.
    I'm not much help with incubation stuff! Good luck![​IMG]

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! It sounds like the chickens have been together for three months now? It is always a good idea to separate sick birds, but they would all have been exposed to anything either set was carrying by this point.

8. Libs40

Libs40 New Egg

Sep 6, 2014
    Thanks Guys for all your advice,

I have separated them but have just noticed one of the newer chickens has nasal discharge which probably means the other one will get it too (bang goes another £80 at the vet....hubby not happy!) and can't say I am looking forward to administering more injections, I had a meltdown at my vet when I had to give the injection for the first time. My older chickens are 3 and half and never had any health problems before, am wondering if the new chickens did bring it with them? They seemed bright and healthy.

Now I have separated them I am hoping they will go back together okay, that pecking order thing was horrible and swore I would never have new chickens again as it took 3 weeks. chickens are sooooo nasty! happy to say they are all friends now :)

Will keep you posted

9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    If you can, keep the isolated ones within the flock at all times so they mix well back together. If they are completely isolated, then when they are well, you will need to put them in a cage for a few weeks within the flock so everybody sees everybody. Mixing them in a few weeks later helps to prevent a lot of pecking and injuries.

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

You've received some good advice from TwoCrow's and others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by