advice re: hens killed by dog

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by HortenseCumberbatch, Dec 26, 2011.

1. HortenseCumberbatch

HortenseCumberbatch Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2011
    Hi Everybody.
    Three of my hens and one duck out of my eight total were killed yesterday afternoon. I found on my security camera two dogs had gotten into my yard somehow. We've been able to locate the owner of the dogs and he has offered to replace the chickens. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice about what I should do, what I should as for as recompense. The hens that were killed were as follows: A Polish (my very favorite hen), Black Star, Mottled Java and a male Khacki Campbell duck. The thing is, I'm not sure I even want birds anymore.

Also, I've only been able to locate two bodies. The sun had set when I became aware that my brood was not in their coop as they are usually.

Thanks. Any comments and advice are appreciated. I'm really bummed out about it all.

2. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    Do you want to know how much money you should ask for? If so we need to know the age of the birds, how many eggs they lay daily (if any), what health condition they were in at the time, etc.

3. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    That's always hard to take. Do what your gut says. If the owner will pay, take him up on it and get ready to isolate some news one to introduce to the flock.

4. HortenseCumberbatch

HortenseCumberbatch Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2011
    I have some idea of how to calculate the amount of money I could ask for. I just wondered if anyone had suggestions. None of the hens were even a year old yet. The black star and the mottled Java were laying every day and were very healthy. The polish had not started laying yet.

5. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    They would continue laying for approximately another 2 years so calculate the food intake that would have occurred and the egg production that would have occurred over the next 2 years and price according to the egg quality and size and brand of food. The polish you cannot count for eggs since she did not start to lay therefore you have no proof that she would ever even lay. Sorry if I'm confusing you! Hope this helps!

6. Noobchick

Noobchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Creedmoor, NC
    I'm really really sorry to hear of your loss. Its nice that hes willing to pay to replace them, but it sounds like it won't do a whole lot of good, considering one of the ones killed was your favorite. Hard to put a price tag on emotional attachment.

I don't have a lot of advice on how to handle this, never having gone through it myself. But something to think about may be taking into consideration not only the price of the birds when you got them but also how much time and money you invested in raising them.

How crappy. I understand that accidents happen but will probably never understand why people can't/won't keep their dogs under control. What a terrible circumstance.

If you do decide to introduce new birds to your girls, please be sure to read speckledhen's advice sticky on that topic. (I believe its in the "managing your flock" forum. Even after quarantine, new birds may be carriers of diseases that don't make themselves apparent until its too late (after they infect your existing flock). I've been burned by this kind of situation and sure wouldnt want anyone to go through what I've experienced. (Especially on top of the stuff youve already endured)

Be wary and aware of the risks in whatever you decide to do. Again I'm really sorry for your loss. It may not seem like it now, but bird keeping will probably get fun again in the future. Hang in there.

7. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    20 to 30 dollars a piece for layer hens, 10.00 for a roo, and 40.00 for the duck. It can vary depending on where in the Country you live. This also assumes that you are located in the USA.

8. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I am new to my present location. Previously in community I grew up in and most folks also had birds, protection was everybody’s responsibility which means owner of poultry killed and owner of dogs. Dogs causing problems was seldom and usually involved young individuals. Favored neighbors paid for losses and prevented dog from doing it again. Somewhat less favored paid for losses but had dog causing chronic losses. Other parties did neither and tended to be in poor standing with community as a whole. Such dogs belonging to last group were often shot by owner of chickens or someone operating in their behalf. In my present location two neighbors have had dogs cause some losses. Neither of present neighbors paid for losses but both parties ended up getting rid of their own dogs. Both sets of neighbors had issues with other neighbors owing to same dogs and do not appear to be in any better standing with other neighbors than myself. Part of my present problem is neighbors do not value livestock or property of others. Getting payment thus will be a function of your community’s etiquette and individuals. After all is said and done I would ask for no more than what is required to get a female to point of lay or cockerel to mature feather which is in my situation about 8 months for latter.

9. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    Typically eggs are $.16 apiece. 5 a week gives you $.80. over a 40 week egg laying period for a year is $32.00.

$30.00 for a run of the mill egg layer is more than reasonable. If it is a more exotic breed and the eggs are sold as hatching eggs or you hatch chicks then raise the price accordingly.

10. The Lazy L

The Lazy L Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Cost of chickens + number of eggs - cost of feed and labor = break even?

I'd tell the neighbor (keeping in mind I have to live beside them for....). I understand that mistakes can happen (dogs got loose) and I value them as a good neighbor. I'd thank them for the offer to reimburse but I decline their offer (assuming they were sincere) this time. BUT if it happens again it could be very expensive (said with a smile).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by