Advice sought on sick pullet

new2chix

Songster
11 Years
Aug 23, 2008
New Palestine Indiana
I have a 14 week old silver gray dorking who is sick. Yesterday I went to open up the coop and noticed she didn't run out as usual, just stood around. I went inside to do a few things and went out again an hour later. She was laying in a nest box "sleeping". I picked her up, and she didn't react. She acted as if she was so tired she couldn't hold up her head. I looked her over and could find nothing - vent normal, no bugs, breathing well, no mucus. I brought her into the house and she took the water I dripped on her beak, ate the yogurt I gave her, and perked up a bit. I put her in a cage on the back porch with crumbles and water, and she ate and drank, acted normally the rest of the day. Her poo was a bit smaller than normal, dark green tint, solid, with the usual white at the end. I assumed she overheated since it's been a cool summer 'till now, and then suddenly got hot. I put her to bed in the coop last night, and this morning she appeared to be fine. Went to the fair and got home around 5:30. Went to check on the girls and she is doing the same thing. Brought her inside, but she does not seem to be getting better like she did yesterday. Normal weight, good feathers, comb a little smaller and not as pink as her sisters. Crop is not as full as it should be - don't think she ate much today. They are on layer crumbles (for about a month, since I combined them with the big girls), treats of fresh fruit and veggie scraps, and grass and bugs in their run. Straw in the coop as bedding. Will treat myself, if possible. She was vaccinated for Marek's at the hatchery.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what might be wrong with your pullet except a heat issue, but I will say that straw is risky when it comes to bedding, because it tends to harbor mold and other nasties. Can you switch to pine shavings? That would be much better, IMO.

Good luck with her.

She was "fine" this morning in her cage in the utility room, and again this evening - no laying down - can't hold her head up issues today. I think I'll keep her inside a couple more days. The weather is supposed to be cooler here towards the end of the week, so I'll probably try her out in the coop again then...

Does she get to free range then when they're let out of the coop? Does their feed ever spill, maybe any of it got under the hay? Has she ever been wormed? How does her weight feel to you? Any signs of parasites on her? (Check very very carefully - they can make a bird anemic like that which would show as weakness in the heat and repair a little in the cool)

The scant (few) dark green droppings indicate that she hadn't been eating. The dark green was her bile. I would keep her up a couple of days. Sometimes when chickens or birds (or any animal) overheats, it can take at least a couple of days for them to catch up. Sometimes you see things on day 2 that you didn't even see on day one.

Keep her up, maybe in a medium-cool place if you can. Not as cool as in the house (because then going outside will be harder for adjusting) but not as hot as outside. Give her electrolytes in her water; gatorade or pedialyte tonight if you have it, poultry electrolytes (w/vitamins is ok) for the next few days. Try to get her to eat; try wetting the feed once a day; sometimes they like that better. If she eats pellest now, make them 'crumbles' in the blender. Continue with the yogurt, water, maybe some cooked egg, etc. Let us know how she is in the morning and we'll go from there.

She was normal this morning, and is still normal tonight. Eating and drinking well (crumbles, a few treats, water), poo is normal amount and color. She is alert, stretching her wings, and seems to be asking when she gets out of solitary! I am keeping her inside until the weekend since I messed up and kept her in the air conditioned house the past couple of days. It is still hot outside (90 inside the coop this evening around 5:00) but is supposed to be in the mid seventies this weekend. If she is still doing well I'll put her back out then - either on my porch or in the chicken yard. I'm thinking she is just less tolerant of the heat for some reason. I will be sure to give her some electrolytes and some baby vitamins (no iron) to give her a boost. Any other suggestions or ideas are also welcome. Thanks!

That sounds like a wonderful plan. I'm very relieved and glad to hear that she's doing so well.
big_smile.png
Good job on getting her well. Just watch her, let us know if anything changes.

Back
Top Bottom