Advice? To keep or not to keep.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by eggybritches, Dec 29, 2009.

1. eggybritches

eggybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    I have three runner ducks. I'm pretty sure two are male and one is a female. The one I'm pretty sure is a female honks and quacks and causes a ruckus, and the other two grunt squeak and are generally quiet. The two are bigger than the one.

So that means I have two males to my one female. (I think.)

I am contemplating getting rid of my girl. I love her dearly (she isn't a house duck and she isn't even imprinted on me, but on her brothers) and I'd hate to see her go, but she is making a lot of noise. I was going to get another female for her and the boys but I don't really want two girls for the neighbors to complain about. I have a person who is willing to take her, who actually took three of her other hatch mates when they were little. She'd have a lot of room to play on and other ducks as friends.

But I'd be breaking up the family.

Are they going to be traumatized? Do you think she'll adapt. I'm putting way too much emotion into this but they're my babies.

If I do end up giving her away I'm going to get another male duckling to take her place and add him to the flock. Would that work, three males together?

Help.

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I don't think they'll be traumatized. They might be a bit confused at first, but they'll be fine. I think 3 males would be fine together, as long as there's no female for them to fight over.

3. eggybritches

eggybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    Yeah... do you guys think I SHOULD get rid of her, though? She is one girl amidst two boys. Does anyone else have a setup with that ratio that works?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by