1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Advice to make my coop duck friendly

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mommakurk, Jan 1, 2014.

1. mommakurk

mommakurk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2014
    California
    [​IMG] new at all this would love your feedback on making this coop duck friendly?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Do you already have this coop, or are you contemplating getting it?

It's not a great one for ducks, because ducks don't like ramps all that much, especially those requiring them to go UP more than a short distance - a foot at a low incline is about as much as most will tolerate.

They won't need the roost bars in the house portion at all. Unless you have Muscovy ducks, which DO often roost.

It is good to keep duck sleeping quarters separate from feeding and especially watering locations.

Perhaps others can chime in with more specifics.

3. mommakurk

Jan 1, 2014
    California
    Yes it is already bought, we will be getting chickens too & be cooping them together but maybe expanding it our putting some kind of home/shelter on bottom for them?

4. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Most people will tell you that ducks and chickens should have separate housing. Use this coop for the chickens and build a good size shed for your ducks.

5. mommakurk

Jan 1, 2014
    California
    Thanks

6. mommakurk

Jan 1, 2014
    California
    [​IMG] would this be good for the ducks?

7. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I have ducks and chickens & definitely second this recommendation. In most cases, you can allow them together during the day, but separate sleeping areas work best. The other coop does look duck friendly but you will need room for a pool if they stay in the run all the time. I have a small coop for the ducks surrounded by a large secure and covered run - this is their night accommodations and they rarely use the coop except for laying eggs. I do allow them a couple of buckets of drinking water but no swimming water. During the day, I allow them to free range with the chickens where they have a pool for swimming. It works well for me and they all get along pretty well by mostly ignoring each other. I do have 2 ducks that were hatched by one of the hens and they seem to move gracefully between the chicken and duck world. They prefer to snack with the chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by