Advice wanted Looking at LGD - Pics

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ~*Sweet Cheeks*~, May 23, 2010.

1. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    Hey all LGD experts -

I am looking to get a LGD to raise with my two goats and perhaps protect the chickens if I wanted to free range at some point. Found the following ad on Craigslist:

We have a very nice commercial Boer Buckling for sale for $200 OBO and LGD pups for $175. The pups are out of the best female I've ever owned. They live with goats, good with chickens and people. They are two months and ready to go guard your herd. Email for pictures and more info.

I responded to the ad with the following questions:

I'm interested in knowing what breed of LGD you have available. Could you please tell me about the parents - do you have both onsite? Do you raise them with the livestock? Do they come in the house? Socialized with other people?

Thank you. I have two goats and chickens that are kept seperate.

I have herding breed dogs but they are kept away from the goats and chickens because they want to chase and herd and not protect other than alert me when a coyote is visiting the back pasture in search of field mice.

This was the response I got back with pics:
    The pups are Great Pyrenees and Maramma cross. I have the mom onsite but sold dad as I don't want to be in the dog breeding business. Dad an good dog but the mom is by far the best dog I have every had and I've been in the goat business for over 15 years. She is good with the animals and around people. The pups can come and go from the herds as we have several pastures and feeding outside the pens is easier (goats like dog food). We do not let our guards in the house at all. They are not guarding if they are in the house. We have five girls and 4 boys to choose from.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone have knowledge about the maremmas?

What do you all think of the pup's colors? Seems like they are a little on the dark side for pyrenees and/or maremmas. Mom looks a little small or thin - or is that normal for having had pups. What are your thoughts about these pups? Thank you for your input.

Last edited: May 23, 2010

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Crowing

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Anyone have knowledge about the maremmas?

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/maremmasheepdog.htm

Those dogs are VERY dark for either breed. I think there may be some other genetics there
    The Mom looks GOOD for a female with pups, but she seems a little small though
    They might make good dogs with a little work

Here's what a Maremma SHOULD look like:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  3. Why and Dotte

Why and Dotte Songster

Mar 8, 2010
    Little Rock,Arkansas
    Almost look like they have a little anatolian back in the line some where.

4. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    Just got a pic of Dad. I am surprised that he's not dark, so wondering where/how some got the coloring.

[​IMG]

5. Hi there, We have 2 sibs that are Grt.Pyre(dad) & Anatolian(mom). They have their Dad's coat but Shilo got some of the Mom in her face. A couple of their litter mates were even short haired with tanish spots,though not as dark as the pups your showing here. Who knows with genetics whats in the lines unless you know they're pure bred. It looks to me like the Mom maybe the same cross and the owners may not really know exactly what they have or another type of LGD? There is others that have darker coats like the Anatolians. I belive Anatolian females can be a tad bigger than Pyrenees females or other way around. Ours is probably around 90-110 not 100% what they weigh but they're a couple of big 'ol luggs. I know those paws of hers are dang heavy when she paws at ya or my lil Pompoms,bad habit of hers. Anyway here is a pic of ours Parents and then Milo & Shilo.

[​IMG][​IMG] Hope that helps some [​IMG]

6. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Both GP's and Maremmas are white, or mostly white. I think they may be GP and Anatolian Shepherd crosses. Either way, they will be potentially good guardians. From a proven mother is a plus, but not all are cut out to be guardians. I can't stress this enough - if you are short on patience, you don't need to get one! They are a lot of work, even if they have a lot of guardian instinct.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/anatolianshepherd.htm

7. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    Great pictures Chicky

What has been your experience with your two - training, obedience, guarding, socialization, etc.?

8. Red Maple Farms

Red Maple Farms Wish Granted

Feb 25, 2010
    NE Wisconsin
    This is our female pyr. She is eleven months old. Something looks fishy with those pups....

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by