advice wanted on a broody hen hatching some baby chicks please help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by joegwendolyn, May 2, 2009.

1. joegwendolyn

joegwendolyn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2009
    Hello some one told me that if I put some fertile eggs under my broody hen it will cure her,
    I have ordered some eggs to come on wednesday morning,
    I was just wondering when they hatch should I take them away from her or leave them to be brought up by the hen, please help as I have never done this before, any advice welcomed and thanks

2. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    Hi there, I am on my 1st experience with a broody hen, she hatched off her babies very well and I will not take her babies from her. She is a wonderful & protective mother as well! What I did for her was build a chicken tractor for her to raise her babies in, she has 7 with her now. There is no replacement for mother nature and instinct!

3. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Let her keep them. She knows best how to take care of them. And it's the cutest thing you will ever see.

4. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    I've heard that hen raised chicks have more chicken smarts than brooder raised. If I had a hen, the only reason I'd take them away is if it was for their best interest, as in she won't stop pecking them, she isn't showing them food or water, they just aren't faring as well as the others.

5. joegwendolyn

Mar 26, 2009
    I was just a bit worried as there are 3 hens in together and they are all very vicious and will heck you as soon as you go near and draw blood so I was worried even if the mother hen didnt hurt them that the other 2 would?

6. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    You may want to seperate her from them. As for their behavior, I wouldn't tolerate that. It implies that they do not respect you as the Almighty Food Bringer. Someone else can give you advice about that.

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  7. joegwendolyn

Mar 26, 2009
    Quote:I think its because I got them as point of lay hens so they havent been handled

8. chickenhick

chickenhick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Virginia
    I always take the babies away from mom...I know it sounds mean , but my chickens have always been very friendly cause I raised them. They see me as mom, and come running to me and fly up on my shoulder. As for chicken smarts, I don't see any difference between mine and my friend's chickens, that were raised by the hen. My girls are like dogs, they bark at me when they see me coming and they land on my arm like a parrot. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. joegwendolyn

Mar 26, 2009
    Quote:I have seperated her yesterday and put her in a large rabbit hutch and made her a nest box and she hasnt gone in it since i moved her, anyone know what i should do?

10. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Try putting a golf ball in there for her to sit on. (she'll think it's an egg)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by