1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Advice Wanted - Premier Fencing

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by lipazron, May 14, 2011.

1. lipazron

lipazron New Egg

May 11, 2011
    I have been reading posts on Premier Electric Fencing for Poultry and wonder if it is as effective as stated. I just moved to a rural home with mountain lions, coyotes, raccoons, skunks, hawks, snakes... and want to start raising chickens. Should I quit while I am ahead or can I make this work with a coop and the Premier fencing?

Also, am I putting my pets at greater risk by attracting predators onto my property with chickens?

Thanks.

2. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    I've had premier net fencing for 2 of the 4 yrs I have raised chickens. I have lost about 4 chickens that were inside the fence during that time. 2 were to hawks during the winter. The other 2 to opossums, one during a dry spell when I didn't know I should have watered the fencing, the other when we had a large rain that washed a place under the fence. I think electric fencing would be a real benefit to you.

The down side is I have lost other chickens because they were young (2-3 months) and got thru the netting or adults flew over it either because they were spooked or because the grass actually is greener on the other side of the fence. Clipping their wings doesn't make much difference in that matter. I question whether you could keep bantams inside the netting. I have the 42 inch and wish I had gotten the 48 inch.

You might try a very secure run with chicken wire and carpenters cloth and a less expensive electric wire set up around that. I really don't know how you will manage otherwise with that many predators around. As for attracting predators to your yard, I kinda doubt it but others could speak to that. They will probably recommend you have large protective dogs.

It is easy to install if you are careful not to tangle it. It would work better on level ground but my is on a slight incline.

Good luck; chickens are worth it even if they aren't cost effective.

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  3. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    This is my second year using the 48" (lighter weight poultry netting) for my chicken tractor coop. So far so good - no losses(knock of wood). I did learn that it is more effective to put the coop in the middle of the netting, as once when a dog was circling, the ladies spooked and in their flight to the coop, one sailed right over the netting! (I was within tackling distance of the dog!).
    I try to place the fencing around areas that include some cover (a few pine trees) for protection from overhead predators.
    I don't know about snakes, but I often have toads that try to climb over the first electrified layer of the netting, and they NEVER make it [​IMG]
    I leave my fencer on 24/7, even after the coop is closed, to deter curious nighttime visitors.
    You have quite a hefty predator list. I would probably, if your coop is unmoveable, build a FORT KNOX run with electric wire re-inforcement, and then use the electrified poultry netting for extended ranging.
    I don't think you would be 'attracting' more predators, they are there whether there are chickens or not. Keep an eye on all your critters!
    [​IMG] you will love it here!

(Thanks, Carolyn, for the dry weather tip! I didn't know that either!)

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  4. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    If you are in mountian lion territory, you will need a fence with more of a kick than the netting. Think of the distance and height that a lion can clear. You will also have to clear any trees that are close to the run, for a lion will drop in from the top if he can get close. Over the years that I have lived in lion country, I have only lost maybe a handful to them. If you think more about the smaller preadtors you will do fine. I have never used the netting, but do have a modifitied electric fence that does the job and then some. If you have small children or pets, use the pluse controler. No chance of something getting hung up in the fence. You might also want to check out this site, fence. com, it will give you an idea of how to set up the fence. There are also many other sites that canhelp, don't just go for the first one you look at. No matter which one you use, just get the best one you can afford, DO NOT get one that sounds good. You may have to replace the cheap one and wind up spending more money than you should.

5. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    You are welcome, Turtlebird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by