Advice welcome! Injured leg after dog attack

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by adrearly, Nov 21, 2016.

1. adrearly

adrearly New Egg

Apr 15, 2015
    My 6 month old Coronation Sussex, Chictoria the Queen of Wingland, was attacked by a dog yesterday. She has an injured leg that she sticks straight out behind her when sitting. Her other leg bends at the knee and faces forward like normal, but she's such a heavy bird she can't lift herself with one foot so she's stuck just sitting. She occasionally shifts/scoots around but I haven't observed how she does it.

I have her isolated in a rabbit hutch in the garage. I can get her to eat some moist mush I made out of feed pellets and water, but she hasn't seemed interested in drinking. She seems to be pooping normally, I think.

Otherwise, she sustained some minor injuries from having feathers pulled out, but no puncture/bite wounds, as far as I can tell.

She does that eye-closing thing that I believe indicates pain. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Will her leg heal in time with her body weight keeping out straight? Do I need to splint? I can't tell if the leg is fractured/broken/dislocated.

Any advice would mean the world to me. Thank you!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. adrearly

adrearly New Egg

Apr 15, 2015
    Thank you! I wasn't sure how the site was organized.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    No worries. Rest assured, if I knew how to help, I would. At least on the ER forum you have a better chance of getting advice from the experts that hang out there.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, adrearly, and :welcome! Happy you joined our flock but sorry it's under these circumstances. I have no advice over that of CTKen. Hope the folks over in the ER section can help out Chictoria. Best wishes! :hugs

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Is her injured leg still warm to the touch? I am guessing it was dislocated because the dog grabbed her and she was trying hard to get away. I would imagine she would need some kind of splint or brace but, it's awfully hard to diagnose over the internet. I don't have any medical training - just assumptions.

7. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Sorry to hear Chictoria was injured and hope you were able to get some help over on the emergency forum.

Good luck to you, it's always a worry when an animal we care about is hurt.

8. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hello and [​IMG] It is great to have you as part of the BYC community!

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

10. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you joined us, I do hope you will make yourself at home here. Enjoy BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by