Advice welcome! Injured leg after dog attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by adrearly, Nov 21, 2016.

1. adrearly

adrearly New Egg

Apr 15, 2015
    My 6 month old Coronation Sussex, Chictoria the Queen of Wingland, was attacked by a dog yesterday. She has an injured leg that she sticks straight out behind her when sitting. Her other leg bends at the knee and faces forward like normal, but she's such a heavy bird she can't lift herself with one foot so she's stuck just sitting. She occasionally shifts/scoots around but I haven't observed how she does it.

I have her isolated in a rabbit hutch in the garage. I can get her to eat some moist mush I made out of feed pellets and water, but she hasn't seemed interested in drinking. She seems to be pooping normally, I think.

Otherwise, she sustained some minor injuries from having feathers pulled out, but no puncture/bite wounds, as far as I can tell.

She does that eye-closing thing that I believe indicates pain. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Will her leg heal in time with her body weight keeping out straight? Do I need to splint? I can't tell if the leg is fractured/broken/dislocated.

Any advice would mean the world to me. Thank you!

2. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    This is a case where a vet and an x-ray would be helpful.
    You need to try to determine if it's a break, dislocation, or slipped tendon. You can search for all those to find treatment options.
    At a minimum it would be helpful to set her up in a sling to take the weight off the leg. You can search 'chicken sling' and find pictures of ways people have set this up using boxes or crates. Best of luck.

3. adrearly

adrearly New Egg

Apr 15, 2015
    I'm going to try a sling tonight. Unfortunately, I don't have a vet that takes birds. Her bad leg still has feeling at least (pain) when I touch the foot.

4. adrearly

adrearly New Egg

Apr 15, 2015
    I made a chicken sling and kept her in the utility closet for warmth. I've given her some warm baths and taped the curled foot so that the "thumb" is positioned correctly. Last night, I found her on the floor, WALKING. Feet spread out properly, too! She limps a bit and tires quickly, but what an improvement!

5. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    That's great to hear! Very glad she's improving! Way to go!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by