Advice would be helpful!.... are these fertile?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DirtCreature, Mar 17, 2012.

1. DirtCreature

DirtCreature Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    So we got some hatching eggs (Foley line) and where really excited about them. We put them in the incubator last friday, today would be 8 days. I havent seen one egg with veins, infact only a couple have the bottom half darker then the top (we put them in pointy side down) two have prominent rings like air bubbles or whatever, and one has a ring that you can tell that inst even, like its more like a wobbly line around the egg. No veins, no super dark spots (like babies)........ So, are these eggs any good, or should i contact the people and let the know they are not fertilized?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  2. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Hi,
    If they are from Foley's...I'm sure they are fertile. I wonder though if they had rough shipment from the PO? I have heard that shipped eggs need to "rest" for a while before putiing in the incubator to hatch.

I hope someone with more experience with shipped eggs can help you....so

Bump!

3. DirtCreature

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    no the eggs are from chickens into there first year of laying from foley. (foley line) not from him at his farm.... right now i dont really care at all about where the chicken eggs came from they could be from mars.... im just worried the people i got the eggs from where wrong about the roo and hens being ready to sell "hatching eggs". by day 8 should all fertile eggs have veins?

If anyone could help i would really appreciate it, ive found all kinds of contridicting things on the internet and now im more confused.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  4. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    What is your temp at? Did you let the incubator run for a while before setting the eggs? How were the eggs stored before you set them?

Yes, you should see veining by 8 days for sure.. Do you see an air cell?

5. DirtCreature

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    the incubator ran for 24 hours before we put them in, they where sold to us in an egg carton, dont know how they where stored before i got them but at room temp is what i believe i was told, and our temp is at 99-100 degrees, i bought some eggs today from someone on here to replace these, and expect them on tues. I will be switching the eggs out so i took pictures of the current (not growing) eggs i am talking about.

here are the pics

there are 11 eggs

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ga...n.backyardchickens.com/e/e0/e00084f4_117.jpeg

6. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Can you candle from the bottom where the air sac is supposed to be? That is how I usually do it and it may help to see inside the egg better...also how many watts is your light?

7. DirtCreature

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    It is a LED flashlight, 90 lumens i believe. thats a lot. Im pretty sure it just boils down to if the eggs are fertile or not. thats kinda what im getting at, i wanted advice after people looked at the pictures to know if they looked like they where even fertile.... can someone even tell by the candling pictures?

Should i blow up this guys phone and let him know its not "my fualt" that these eggs arent growing....?

8. SkyeSchazade

SkyeSchazade Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2012
    Mulino, OR
    I hope someone is able to help you, I am afraid I may be in the same boat. I have never tried hatching or candling before, mine look very similar to yours. I don't want to take them out on the off chance I may be wrong! Good Luck!

9. DirtCreature

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    thanks! im going to replace them when the new eggs get here on tues... im going to open all the eggs though to see if it was my fault or if they are bunk.

Good luck to you! i hope your hatch! [​IMG]

10. Farmin Momma

Farmin Momma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2012
    Mill Creek, Wa
    Hi there, I am not an expert by any means but it would help alot if you put your flashlight to the big end where the air sac should be. But sadly these look just like two of my eggs that I took out of my bator today but I think mine were fertal but died in the early development. But there is not way to tell if the eggs were fertal to begin with, at least not by candling. After you have decided you think they are dead break a few open and look for the white donut shape in the yolk. That means they were fertal and something went wrong wether it be shipping, previouse storage, or a temprature spike that killed them all. If there is no white circle or donut shape then they were not fertal to begin with. But I would take pics as you do it so you can prove that they were they same eggs you bought from them.

Here are my two eggs that I took out today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by