Advice!!

Mrsdkrn08

Chirping
Mar 6, 2015
I have two White Rock Hens that are going down hill and Im at a lost, I not sure if it is my Rooster, other hens picking on them or something else. They are losing weight, they are missing all most all their feathers on their rear and back wings. I dont know weather to separate them from the rest or just my Rooster... I took them to the vet and I separated them and gave them meds but here we are again, I dont want to lose two hens for one Rooster that doesnt supply nothing to my flock.... Any advice or recommendation would be appreciated.... Pics Attached

I have 5 hens, yes I make sure I'm on top of lice and mites.... I was about 95% sure it was him but needed some veteran advice

welcome-byc.gif

Agree it looks like rooster damage. .

I would pull the rooster. If you don't need him for something, get rid of him. If you want to keep him, pen him separate for a time while you work on the hens.

The other birds may also be pecking at the bare skin. That's a cycle in birds, the loss of feathers show bare skin, the bare skin encourages pecking....round and round. I'd get some Blu-Kote and spray the bare spots. The blue provides camoflauge so the bare skin doesn't stand out so much.

I'd boost the protein in the feed. I think it's Purina that makes a Feather Fixer feed for molting. I'm just not sure how much protein it has. If your birds are on layer, I'd change them to starter, aiming for around 20% protein. Cut scratch and treats, etc for a while unless it's a high protein treat. Provide oyster shell on the side if you go with a lower calcium feed like starter.

Some hens just have more brittle feathers, even if they're not especially favorites of the rooster. I've supplemented my layers with a little Calf-Manna and seen an overall improvement in feather quality, even in my concentrated breeding pens. Can't hurt, anyway. For your 5 hens I'd just to a handful a day.

You'll have to make a decision about the rooster. If he has redeeming qualities and you want to keep him, you might consider saddles for the hens, some folks swear by them. You can add more hens and see if he spreads the love a bit, although if a rooster has dedicated favorites IME he continues to mate them continuously, no matter how many other hens are available. Or, you may decide to cull him. That's one of those things you'll have to come up with the answer that fits your situation.

Good luck with your ladies, I hope you get them back to their good glossy selves
smile.png

I have two White Rock Hens that are going down hill and Im at a lost, I not sure if it is my Rooster, other hens picking on them or something else. They are losing weight, they are missing all most all their feathers on their rear and back wings. I dont know weather to separate them from the rest or just my Rooster... I took them to the vet and I separated them and gave them meds but here we are again, I dont want to lose two hens for one Rooster that doesnt supply nothing to my flock.... Any advice or recommendation would be appreciated.... Pics Attached
Looks like you've already applied Blukote?
I've found blukote and attract as much unwanted attention as blood or bare skin,
often from the bird wearing it-they preen it off if they can reach it and that can make a wound worse.
Also bare skinned birds often bother keepers more than it really bothers the birds.

How many birds(and ages) total?
How much space in coop and run(feet by feet)?
What and how exactly are you feeding?
What 'meds' were given?....on vets advice?

Feathers probably won't grow back until a molt...unless the were fully 'plucked'

I have decided to rehome my roo, he is young so I think his hormones are getting the best of him so maybe a larger flock for him would be best since I'm at my limit...

Back
Top Bottom