1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. amanda7640

amanda7640 New Egg

Feb 28, 2017
    Hello, I am new to the chicken community and I'm just now starting out with chickens.

I have 1 chicken that is raspy sounding in her breathing, she doesn't want to move around too much. I'm unsure on what to do? I have sectioned her off from all the other chickens. I do have 2 turkeys with my chickens, with a wood coop, pine shavings for bedding, and a red heat lamp. It got cold a couple nights ago prior to me having the heat lamp and that is when my chicken started acting funny.

Any advice on what I should do? She is the only one and I do understand some times you losee chickens, but she was my first chicken ever so I would really like to save her! :)

Thank you!

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Can you give us a lot more info----what state, how cold, how old is the chicken, do they free/range or have a outside run to get in?? Anything else you might think we need to know? In the mean time I would give her some tylan50 for a few days---I do 1ml oral for a full size chicken per day.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  3. amanda7640

amanda7640 New Egg

Feb 28, 2017
    We are in Missouri, it got down to 32 that night, they do not free range at the moment waiting a little bit longer till they know their coop. They do have an outside run as well. I change their water every other day, they have a little kids swimming pool so plenty of water, they have the scratch, pellets, oyster shell, and the mix that looks like bird food (can't remember name of top of head) and then corn as needed for their food. I only have 8 chickens 1 being a rooster, and two turkeys 1 male 1 female.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by