Advice?

rancher hicks

Crowing
11 Years
Feb 28, 2009
Syracuse, NY
I have a broody that took on 9 eggs from an incu that quit about a week ago.. They're starting to hatch today. The thing is she has 10 of her own and they may be at least a week behind the ones from the incu. I don't want her to break broody to soon. Should I take these first chicks from her and put them in a brooder? She had 10 of her own and I had to add 9 from the incu.

FYI, I have two in one brooder from a previous hatch. Two in a brooder from a broody hatch, Mom had to go to the coop. This will mean brooder set up 3 w/ whatever chicks hatch from the broken incu. Isn't having chickens fun?
woot.gif
Then if and when the broody mom w/ the incu chicks hatches her own it will be chick heaven around here. Oh all Dels and CM's .

bantiesrule

Songster
11 Years
Dec 1, 2008
Long Prairie, MN
If your incubator is still broke down, i would take the chicks from her because she probably won't sit for a whole week after the first ones hatch. You might try giving the first ones back to her after the others hatch but I would watch close to make sure the later ones are keeping up.

rancher hicks

Crowing
11 Years
Feb 28, 2009
Syracuse, NY
Ok I did take the chicks, 5, one egg was tore up the outer shell was missing and had a chick. I tossed it of course. It was near the bottom so I don't know how the shell got removed. She settled on the other eggs and still has 3 from the incu. I'm going to check under her tonight. Think that will be ok? There were 4 Del eggs so they are easy to tell and the other would be marans. so it won't be easy as the others she originally had were Del and Marans. I only had the darkest in the incu. I have a new incu coming in the mail. Thanks for responding the books only cover things as though they go perfect. Which of course they never do. LOL

rancher hicks

Crowing
11 Years
Feb 28, 2009
Syracuse, NY
Ok 6 out of 9 so far 2 Dels and 4 CM's. This means she's still on 2 eggs from the bator. That means there are two Del eggs yet. I hope they hatch cuz I really want the Dels.

Top Bottom