Advice

joe95

Hatching
8 Years
Oct 2, 2011
I am just looking for some suggestions here... I started with 4 leghorns and 6 white rocks in separate pens. 2 leghorns were eaten in their pen. Combined all chickens into one new pen (a bear would have trouble getting in this one!) while free ranging.... my neighbors dog killed one white rock. got 2 americauna roosters to try to help protect the hens. today the dog killed one rooster and two white rocks. I stopped this dog from getting at the blue cochin hen and 8 peeps in my garage and took the dog back to the neighbor. i have room in the new pen for about 25 birds but i like to free range them. my neighbor said should have shot the dog. about an hour after the 3 were killed today 2 rocks came out of the woods and after an inspection one has lost feathers on her belly and there is a bulge..no blood. she seems confused bu probably just because she saw her sisters get killed. Any advice? thanks....

Last edited:
its not his dog its his daughters boyfriend. its a husky. real nice dog. when i caught it in my garage trying to get to my cochins she just put her head down she knows she screwed up. but like i said its not his dog. if i shoot it. they will just get another one.

put the chicken in a safe warm dry place and observe it...it prob is confused and frightened, can't see the buldge but it could e bruising/swelling type injury, if she eats and drinks ok tomorrow she should make it. where is this bulge?
Maybe electic fencing, but a bullet would be cheaper.
Everything eats chicken, darn

Last edited:
Don't let any emotions or sympathy for the dog get in the way. The dog has killed your chickens, and the neighbor doesn't care. The cheapest, easiest, and most effective option is to shoot it next time you see it. Just dig a hole and keep quiet about it. It's your chickens or the dog. Hope that helps.

Why don't you talk to the actual dog's owner first, instead of just shooting it...
sad.png
OR do you have any birdshot? Don't know the technical term but that's what my dad calls it. Doesn't kill them just pops them in the booty real good. Or electric fencing?

(Yes, I'm one of "those types" that doesn't like to see dog's get shot. I've had this problem since birth... I'm workin' on it.)

Back
Top Bottom