Advice

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by joe95, Oct 2, 2011.

1. joe95

joe95 New Egg

Oct 2, 2011
    I am just looking for some suggestions here... I started with 4 leghorns and 6 white rocks in separate pens. 2 leghorns were eaten in their pen. Combined all chickens into one new pen (a bear would have trouble getting in this one!) while free ranging.... my neighbors dog killed one white rock. got 2 americauna roosters to try to help protect the hens. today the dog killed one rooster and two white rocks. I stopped this dog from getting at the blue cochin hen and 8 peeps in my garage and took the dog back to the neighbor. i have room in the new pen for about 25 birds but i like to free range them. my neighbor said should have shot the dog. about an hour after the 3 were killed today 2 rocks came out of the woods and after an inspection one has lost feathers on her belly and there is a bulge..no blood. she seems confused bu probably just because she saw her sisters get killed. Any advice? thanks....

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  2. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    Listen to your neighbors advice and shoot the dog!

3. joe95

joe95 New Egg

Oct 2, 2011
    its not his dog its his daughters boyfriend. its a husky. real nice dog. when i caught it in my garage trying to get to my cochins she just put her head down she knows she screwed up. but like i said its not his dog. if i shoot it. they will just get another one.

4. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Shoot the dog or sue them with the authorities or take it somewhere else!

5. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    either shoot the dog or make your chickens a fortress that they never come out of.

6. Twiggers96

Twiggers96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2011
    Arcadia, FL
    If it kills again, tie one of the dead chickens around it's neck & let it drag it around.

7. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    put the chicken in a safe warm dry place and observe it...it prob is confused and frightened, can't see the buldge but it could e bruising/swelling type injury, if she eats and drinks ok tomorrow she should make it. where is this bulge?
    Maybe electic fencing, but a bullet would be cheaper.
    Everything eats chicken, darn

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  8. user104534

user104534 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2011
    Don't let any emotions or sympathy for the dog get in the way. The dog has killed your chickens, and the neighbor doesn't care. The cheapest, easiest, and most effective option is to shoot it next time you see it. Just dig a hole and keep quiet about it. It's your chickens or the dog. Hope that helps.

9. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    No, don't give a chance to kill again. The neighbor gave their blessings so eradicate the problem.

10. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Why don't you talk to the actual dog's owner first, instead of just shooting it... [​IMG] OR do you have any birdshot? Don't know the technical term but that's what my dad calls it. Doesn't kill them just pops them in the booty real good. Or electric fencing?

(Yes, I'm one of "those types" that doesn't like to see dog's get shot. I've had this problem since birth... I'm workin' on it.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by